As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Friday, May 22, 2020

IHMN: Some thoughts for the Beginner in Designing an Adventuring Company, Part 10a (Location, Location, Location)

 I knew I should have bought a better map.

It's 1895: So . . . where do you want to go? Another one of the great advantages of In Her Majesty's Name is that most games only require 4 feet x 4 feet of table space - but of course you can have bigger games! When I started playing IHMN, most of my terrain was for 15mm scale gaming and cardboard buildings I had picked up playing Warhammer and WH40K. In other words, no real 25/28mm terrain for 1895.

 My favorite piece of terrain. An old card stock house from the first Warhammer set I bought in 1993 or 4. I have used it for the English Civil War, Napoleonic, Fantasy games and of course In Her Majesty's Name. The hedge is flexible and is also a GW product.

At the same time as my interest was growing in IHMN, I was also working on 2 other projects in 28mm: The English Civil War and Colonial Gaming primarily in India. After browsing the internet I was able to find some cheap and easy ways to make some terrain. I primarily used Train model supplies, pet aquarium pieces and what I had from my earlier Sci Fi/Fantasy days.
Since I did not have a lot of Victorian Style buildings, for now I am shying away from large urban settings. There are some beautiful urban kits available and I have seen some fantastic urban layouts (Sigh). Some day. So where do I go in 1895?

1. Trees. For me the basics.  I need trees. Your average model railroad tree is extremely versatile and unless you are playing against a Dendrology professor, you can use them in various locales. Fortunately Hobby Lobby (in the USA) has a 40% coupon just about every week and after a quick stop I picked up 6 trees in the model railroad section for $14.00 US - what a great deal.  In addition I purchased 1/8 inch think beach oval plywood that is roughly 100 mm in diameter for the bases for $.84 US.


These 6 trees have found themselves in the jungles of Africa, the jungles of India, North Piddle, England, the USA . . . etc. They are generic enough to fit almost any locale and off course I use them for historical gaming too. Here is the link on my blog on how I made them: MAKING TREES LINK.

2. Scatter Terrain. Something else I discovered I needed for a skirmish game was what is affectionately known as scatter terrain and it is very easy to make.



Make sure your figures can use your scatter terrain. Private Hook was a great help as I used him to make sure the scrub grass ad the rock allowed figures to fit on the base. Notice that now I am spraying painting the wood black - I forgot one of the basics that paint and other objects stick better and paint easier with primer.


Great for the plains of Africa, the Wild, Wild, West, India and even Barsoom (if you ignore the green scatter grass.

Here is the link to my post on making what I call SCRUB GRASS.

3. Jungle terrain. One of the great discoveries I found on a gaming blog, and I wish I could remember which one, was the use of aquarium plants for making jungle terrain. This time I used old CD's as the bases. Talk about inexpensive.


Quick and easy. By the way, the rocks are from my stone path in the back yard.




Aquariam plants make great elephant or tall grass also. In the background you can see various palm trees from toy dinosaur kits and model railroad accessories.

4. Ancient Ruins. Speaking of aquarium, virtually every ancient ruin or temple I have came from a pet store and I don't thing any of them cost more that US $40 - especially when you use coupons or reward points (it pays to have 2 dogs that like to eat.)


 Perfect Scale for 28mm Figures.

I think the treasure and totem were from Reaper. Good for terrain and an objective!

Here are a couple more aquarium pieces; by the way they are all resin:
 How can you not have at least one adventure without a suspension bridge?

The entire bridge. The rock formation is from Gale Force Nine's Battle field in a box. I have also purchased several of their products for hills, rivers and rocks.


Starting on my Egyptian Ruins collection courtesy of the local Pet Store.

Next: Lost Cities, India, The Wild, Wild, West, The Valley of the Kings, and the quaint town of North Piddle, England. 

4 comments:

  1. " How can you not have at least one adventure without a suspension bridge?"

    Damn right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. I love what the internet has done for our hobby. I was never a terrain guy because I thought it was too hard. Not anymore.

      Delete