As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Compagnies de la Marine


In New France, the Compagnies de la Marine were the only regular soldiers stationed by the French Crown from 1685 to 1755. They were independent companies under the authority of the French Minister of Marine, who was also responsible for the French Navy, French colonies and overseas trade. This is why they were referred to as Marines thought they did not serve as traditional marines in New France. A fine addition to my French force for the French and Indian War using the rules Rebels and Patriots (Paid Link).

My Compagnies de la Marine will be used as Light Infantry and I plan on doing another company to go along with them. The figures are from North Star and their packs come with 6 figures so two packs make a unit for Rebels and Patriots (Paid Link). The coats ended a little lighter and brighter than I wanted, but I figured 18th century clothing dye created the effect. I may also go back and add some more detail to the faces. All in all great figures that represent mostly experienced, native Canadians in practical uniforms that are used to fighting on the frontier.

In Rebels and Patriots (Paid Link), Light Infantry are Regulars and can form Close Order and conduct Volley Fire. Very versatile troops.
 








6 comments:

  1. Nice work Neil. I like the guy in the grey coat pointing, I guess he's an officer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Yes. He’s going to be the Officer commanding my initial French force for Rebels and Patriots.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Jonathan,
      Thanks. The next unit of marines will have more “variety” in their uniforms.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. Great looking French Marines, Neil. I found Muskets and Tomahawks worked great for this period too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dean,
    Thanks. I’m thinking about getting Musket and Tomahawks but I get discouraged when I have to base rules, the supplement for the French and Indian War, the cards for the French and Indian War, etc. But I hear that it is a fun and eventful game. By the way, I had to go back and look at your Russians again - great speed job.
    Take care,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete