As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Monday, February 15, 2021

Keep a Journal!

Me painting the second battalion of a regiment.

I was recently asked on a recent posting what color palette I used for a unit I painted. Without hesitation, I pranced up to my war room, blew off some dust, and grabbed my Ancient Tome of Knowledge and replied with which colors I had used.

The Ancient Tome of Knowledge

I don't remember exactly when I starting keeping a journal of hobby information, but it was in the mid 2000's and I was working on the 2nd Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in 15mm for Flames of War. I usually do not work straight through a project so I had painted one unit, did something else and then came back to the Highlanders. Hmmm . . . how did I paint them? Thus the journal. I highly recommend keeping a journal, it's not hard, and it can be a real memory jogger! It's also useful for interesting information, even if you are not working that particular part of history or fantasy. Here are some examples of my notes and the figures they produced.

What started it all.

15mm British Infantry from Battle Honours (Flames of War).



My painting guide using hard plastic Perry Miniatures French Infantry.





I like to add color to my tabletop whenever possible, so half of our Soviet Infantry was Soviet Naval Infantry.

A variety of 15mm figures and tanks for my Soviet Naval Infantry from Battle Honours.



I think there more Highlanders in a British Peninsular Army than Wellington could have wished for and more German Fallschirmjagers (paratroopers) in table top armies than there were in real life. Why? Because they look cool.

28mm Metal Farschirmjagers from Warlord Games. Their plastic Farschirmjagers, in my opinion, are too difficult to put together. (But I'm not great a models!)



The English Civil Wars, or if you prefer The War of Three Kingdoms is one of my favorite periods. Figures are 28mm from Warlord Games and Perry Miniatures. Yes, I know I need to fix some of the Infantry flags by trimming off the white.




I love Colonials especially the British Raj and the British Indian Army. Figures in 28mm by Artizan Designs and Copplestone Castings.




The latest entry. Figures are 28mm from Copplestone Castings and the correspondent is from Artizan Designs.



Havildar Abdul Qadir orders you to start that journal!
 

12 comments:

  1. Ive always been envious of wargamers who could keep a journal of the hobby. My opponent, John has kept a one for over 50 years listing every purchase, game, show and falling out.He refuses to allow me to see or read the damn thing and has ordered his wife to destroy it when he moves on to Valhalla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I compliment you on your organizational skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like being a retired military, slightly OCD guy. Plus I really have come to rely on my notes the way I jump around on projects.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. Well organized sir.
    It's one of the reasons I keep the blog to help me remember the colours used on previous units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      Ditto. That's one of the reasons I visit your blog sir!
      Regards,
      Neil

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea. Been doing the same thing for a year or two and already a life saver when trying to remember colour recipes etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I wish I would have started sooner. Like you said, a life saver.
      Regards,
      Neil

      Delete
  5. I suspect a mild case of OCD Neil - it IS a good idea really, but too organised for my liking - its bad enough having to keep these sort of records in a work environment - I dont want my hobby to be that much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rross,
      That’s what’s great about our hobby: the people you meet, the different techniques and just the general enjoyment it generates.
      Regards,
      Neil

      Delete
  6. I've kept a record of what I painted and when since the beginning (50 years now, yikes), but recoding the colors used seems more trouble than I want to under take, but more power to you (and the Sacred Tome)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never doubt the ancient tomb of knowledge! Unless you want to.
      Neil

      Delete