As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Re-Post: Romano-British Army and Arthur, Dux Bellorum

Time out: I haven’t been able to finish Part 3 of  Grab the Guru yet. Please enjoy this post from yesteryear.

 Arthur, Dux Bellorum of Britain leads the elite of Britain against the Saxon invaders.

My Romano-British army composed primarily of Wargames Foundry figures with some Old Glory miniatures is finished and battle tested.  They are mounted for Dux Bellorum on 120mm wide bases.  In Dux Bellorum game terms I organized the army as my own interpretation of King Arthur:
1 Mounted Companions: 5 points
3 Noble Riders: 15 points
2 Ordinary Shieldwall: 6 points
1 Mounted Skirmishers: 2 points

Of course I utilize the Experience Warlord and Imposing Horsemen option!


The assembled War host.

Shieldwall infantry #1.

Shield Wall infantry #2.

Arthur is the middle figure from Wargames Foundry flanked by Old Glory miniatures. Since he was also known as the "Bear" I added an extra flag to go along with the traditional Pendragon standard.

Okay . . . I'm showing off the dragon painted on the shield.

Another view of the mounted force.

One of the most useful units are my mounted skirmishers for making Saxon Warbands charge when they don't want to. I have also discovered that dismounted skirmishers with javelins are very useful.

I love the priest from Wargames Foundry.

One last look at the "overlooked" infantry of Arthur's army.

4 comments:

  1. A very Coll looking little force Neil. This is an era we gamed a lot a few years ago...my friend Julian has a large collection, including a general standing on a rock surveying the field of battle. We always used to pull his leg about the guy having to drag his rock around the battlefield with him! Lovely paint job on these and the dragon emblem on Arthurs shield is particularly impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I think it’s the best shield I have ever painted. I love the story about the rock - gotta love gamers.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they are really special, beautiful looking figures.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete