As I mentioned last time, I mount 2 gunners per base for my Volley and Bayonet artillery in 28mm. Since I have 4 Guard Horse and 4 Line I was short 2 guns. I have 2 old French Guns that I have kept for along time with my "bits" and I believe they are Minifig 25mm. My plan is to utilize them as 6 lb guns. One of the guns has a broken axle so I sent it to the local depot for repairs.
Tools for repair will be the hand drill I bought from Games Workshop, a wire cutter, some small files (not shown) and super glue.
Brass rod is extremely handy an available in various diameters in most hobby shops. I have used brass rod for making standards and for strengthening the fit of some models.
I used the hand drill to drill out the old axle and make a deep enough hole for the brass rod. After a quick measurement and snip of the wire cutter, I put a few drops of super glue down the hole and inserted the brass.
I let the rod dry for five minutes and then glued on the wheel. I waited about 20 minutes to make sure the bond was set and then filed the end of the rod smooth.
I then gave the gun a quick (and I do mean quick!) paint job. For the wood I used GW's Goblin Greena and then a wash of Ork Flesh followed by a dry brushing of highlights with Camo Green. The metal fixtures are just black and the barrel was "wet" brushed with Shiny Gold.
Sunday, February 5, 2012
Perry French Imperial Guard Horse Artillery WIP #2
I'm a retired Colonel of Infantry (Regulars by God!) who likes to play with toy soldiers. I've been married to the love of my life since 1986, I have 5 honorable sons (my geeks in training), 3 daughters-in-law, 2 dogs, and a gazillion miniatures. Hobbies include . . . wait for it . . . Toy Soldiers, Reading, Wargaming, Reading about Toy Soldiers, History, Reading about Wargaming, Gardening, Reading about History and Reading.