As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Thursday, January 6, 2022

2022: The Plan

Me and the "gang" working on the plan.
 
I have had more success with my hobby by developing a plan over the last few years and 2022 will be no exception. This year will be a little different though. When I started writing this post it was Mid-December of 2021 and inflation in the United States is at a 40 year high. Since I like to eat and keep a roof over my head, some of my goals and plans will need to be approved by the Ministry of Finance. On with the plan:

1. Continue to make my hobby self-sustaining as much as possible with eBay sales, commissions and the blog. By the way, if you are interested in having figures painted, feel free to contact me at nreinwald@yahoo.com.


2. Scottish Units for the English Civil War. Nothing like already having unpainted figures to encourage you to save money - especially when you really want to paint them! My goal is to:
    a. Paint one to two Regiments of Foot. The actual number of regiments will depend on some conversions I need to due for musketeers as I have plenty of pike.
    b. Two units of Horse/Mounted Dragoons. No dismounted dragoons yet!
    c. One big honking cannon - pretty sure it's a Saker from Warlord Games but I'm too lazy to go up to the War Room and look right now.

Where is my cavalry?

3. Imperial Russian Army circa somewhere in my imaginary universe from 1880 to 1910. I've been having fun with my Fictional conflict of the Anglo-Russian War. Be a Daniel Mersey fan of many years, I use The Men Who Would be Kings (Paid Link) as my rules; though, I am thinking about giving The East is Ablaze a try. (Ministry of Finance) Yep, a sucker for Hollywood style and fun rules.
    a. One unit of Regular Infantry.
    b. One unit of Dragoons. (Ministry of Finance)
    c. One unit of Cossacks. (Ministry of Finance)

"Where are my fellow Sowars?"
4. The British Indian Army.
    a. One unit of Sikh Cavalry (The 3rd Bombay Light Cavalry).
    b. One unit of Bengal Lancers.  (Ministry of Finance)
    b. One unit of Highlanders. (Ministry of Finance)
    c. One unit of Gurkhas. (Ministry of Finance)
    d. A British Political Officer in Native Dress. How can you have the Great Game without a Political Officer? I'm planning on using a figure from the Perry Miniatures Hard Plastic Afghan Tribesman (Paid Link) box.


5. Afghanistan.
    a. Two units of 16 figures each of Perry Miniatures hard plastic Tribal Infantry. (Paid Link)
    b. Anything else will depend on tribute . . . err . . . subsidies from the British Raj or Imperial Russia.

Three down, three to go.

6. French and Indian War. Did someone mention I'm a Daniel Mersey fan. Continuing on with the French and Indian War using Rebels and Patriots. (Paid Link)
    a. Finish one more unit of Native Skirmishers. 
    b. One unit of French Regulars. (Ministry of Finance)
    c. One unit of British Regulars or Colonial Regulars/Militia. (Ministry of Finance)

Old GW Warhammer figures to use with Dragon Rampant.

7. Elite Heavy Elf Infantry for Dragon Rampant (Paid Link): This is a carryover from last year and won't take too long to finish.


8. In Her Majesty's Name, 2nd Edition.
    a. Update my Adventuring Company's to the 2nd Edition. 
    b. Finish drafting and then play our campaign for 2022. Locally we had a multi-year campaign called "The War of the Witches" which involved, whenever available, friends, kids of friends, my Honorable Sons, and me (usually getting my butt kicked or being the gamemaster/umpire). With the victory of the Forces of Good (they had Teddy Roosevelt!) over the Forces of Evil (BWAH HAH HAH!) it's time to start another campaign. Two of the main, evil Adventuring Companies somehow managed to escape the defeat . . . and of course Professor Moriarty figured out which way the wind was blowing and helped (kinda). The first game will have the premier of my new Adventuring Company in the Highlands of Scotland.

The fools THINK they won. BWAH HAH HAH!!!

    c. Do some odds and ends that will be needed for the campaign; you know - unexpected surprises!


9. Terrain.
    a. Paint the roof of the mill and some other parts! I spent some time in New England visiting Honorable Son #1 (The Librarian) and his Beautiful Bride (The Doctor) plus Honorable Son #3 (The Engineer) and his Beautiful Bride (The Social Warrior) and was able to take a look at some real mills in the area. And some other areas of interest - but that is for another post.
    b. Put together an MDF Tavern that was given to me by Honorable Son #2 (The Captain) and his Beautiful Bride (The Lawyer). Looking forward to putting this together and using it on the tabletop.
    c. Scratch build a frontier fort.


10. Play games!
    a. English Civil War.
    b. The Anglo-Russian War.
    c. The French and Indian War.
    d. The IHMN2 campaign (need to come up with a name of impending doom for the world).

11. Secret projects.
    a. Getting back to my gaming roots. This will be the subject of a future post whether it is financed or not. (Ministry of Finance)
    b. A board game/miniature project. (Ministry of Finance)

I hope everyone has a great hobby year!

13 comments:

  1. That's a pretty big a specific plan Neil, I tend to go with a smaller or non-existent plan, saves me from letting myself down. The Ministry of Finance are a right 'orrible lot aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. This may be the year of the "unpainted" inventory!
      Neil

      Delete
  2. I'll look forward to the Scots especially. Sounds like a fun year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to finishing the Scots too; they've been on the back burner for too long. I have Highland clansmen and the Irish brigade but now it is time to finish the rank and file.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. I’m with Ray. These are ambitious plans with lots of unit variety potentially crossing your workbench in 2022. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing what the secret project is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The project is outlined. I'll just have to wait later in the year to see if I can afford it or put it off to 2023.
      Neil

      Delete
  5. I think most countries have similar economic issues at the moment....not all of which might traditionally be seen as a problem eg in addition to inflation moving past 2% for the first time in more than a decade, we have record employment, in fact at <4% unemployed, we basically have full employment. Why would that be a problem..... Because there are lots of jobs that still need doing, and there is no one to do them! I am hoping a few incentive payments might come through to ensure the defence budget is not one of the Arabs that has to accept reduced spending! Good luck with your plans Neil and I will follow progress with great interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Arabs" should read areas obviously.......

      Delete
    2. . . . and auto correct claims another victim!
      Neil

      Delete
  6. Quite an extensive plan. Surely you have planned for all sorts of contingencies and as blessings would have it, your plans will surely come through! My plans are still in the *ahem* "Planning" stage... I have to make sure that my plans are properly planned out, because we all know what happens to unplanned plans that aren't planned properly, or something like that...

    ReplyDelete