As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Family History and the Peninsular War Part 2


I have started my research of the units that my ancestors served in during the Peninsular War. Allan M'Dougall was a Lieutenant in the 38th Regiment who died at the age of 22 unmarried. The 38th (1st Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot was formed in 1705 and amalgamated into the South Staffordshire Regiment in 1881. Later the South Staffords were amalgamated with the North Staffordshire Regiment in 1959 to form the Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales).

In the spring of 1985 as a first lieutenant I was the the Executive Officer (XO) of Combat Support Company (CSC), 2nd Battalion, 47th Infantry. At that time, 2/47 Infantry was part of the 9th Infantry Division at Fort Lewis, WA. When I was the XO of CSC our battalion hosted the Staffordshire Regiment for combined training. Little did I know at the time that an ancestor of mine had served with that unit during the Peninsular War!

Battle Honors for the Peninsular War are:
  • Rolica
  • Vimiera
  • Corunna
  • Busaco
  • Badajos
  • Salamanca
  • Vittoria
  • St Sebastian
  • Nive
  • Peninsula

No comments:

Post a Comment