As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Monday, October 10, 2016

Third Quarter Update and Right on Track, Part 3

Sir,

What follows is the final dispatch on update after the end of the 3rd Quarter for the plan for 2016:

4. The Anglo-Zulu War.  At the beginning of the year I found out that Daniel Mersey's latest set of rules was scheduled for publication in August or September of 2016 and is a set of Colonial rules titled The Men Who Would be Kings. Of course I pre-ordered!  Figures can be mounted individually for casualty removal but fight as a unit. This is perfect for me because I want them to do double duty with In Her Majesty's Name.  Knowing Daniel's track record and the play tests I have read I am going to step out and predict that this will be another success. 

 How can you not have Private Hook in your army?

To get a head start, I decided to start painting units for the Anglo-Zulu War and I am happy to report that I have completed one infantry unit.

My interpretation of the 24th Foot with some Hollywood thrown in for good measure.

Why only one unit?  Well . . . there I was on a business trip and Artizan Design Second Afghan War figures were on sale!  (Some of you will recognize this as the shiny new toy syndrome)  I purchased British officers, Sikhs and Highlanders and decided to modify my plan.  Going forward I'm going to paint four armies: British (Anglo-Zulu War), Zulus, British (Northwest Frontier) and an Afghan/Pathan field force for the NWF.  The major part of my plan for 2017 will be the purchase and painting of these units.

A distraction from the plan but well worth it!  Maxim machine gun from Copplestone Castings.

In reviewing my post about the plan in January I was planning on doing one British infantry unit and one unit of Natal Native Horse.  The Natal Native Horse will probably be the first unit I plan for 2017 based on the Edendale contingent from the Edendale Mission.

The finished Highlander unit for the Northwest Frontier or wherever the Empire needs them!

5. Pleasant Distractions and/or Additions to the plan!  As mentioned earlier, I'm a big fan of Daniel Mersey's rules and I took the plunge and purchased Dragon Rampant. I now have the set of fantasy rules I have always been seeking; extremely adaptable, easy to learn and enjoyable to play.  If you are going to play Dragon Rampant you might as well have a dragon.
The mighty Fred, Dragon Lord of the Skies.

And of course I had to have Conan . . . 
“Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet.” 

Sir, this concludes the report.  Time to finish Arthur's cavalry.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The Heroes of Rorkes Drift (Hollywood version) is a great blister pack from Warlord Games/Empress Miniatures.

      Delete
  2. Dem' orcs don't stand a chance agaist that extra beefy Conan.

    ReplyDelete