As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Thursday, March 5, 2020

Has it been 10 Years?


Huzzah!

I can't believe that I just noticed that this blog had its first posting on January 1st, 2010. Ten years and 243 followers (love you!) later, I am still going strong. In celebration of the fellowship of fellow gamers and lovers of the toy soldier hobby, I dedicate some of my favorite pictures of my figures to you!

 German Afrika Korps 88mm gun from Battlefront Miniatures in 15mm scale. This picture was featured in A Wargamer's Guide to The Desert War 1940 - 1943 by Daniel Mersey.


 Panzer III

The Desert Fox

More WW II in 15mm:
Aussie Infantry.

 Bren carrier and Desert Rat Tank.


 17lb AT Guns.

German Tiger.

 German Infantry.

German 10.5 cm Battery

 Bagpipes!

 Late British Infantry of WW II.

 Soviet Guard Tanks and Soviet Naval Infantry breaching barb wire.

"For Mother Russia!"

Warlord Games Highlanders. I have I think about 48 of these beauties. The great thing about the Warlord clansmen is how many individual sculpts they have that can give your clan quite the unique look.

 The Battle of Fuentes de Onoro. A big Napoleonic Peninsular battle using the rule set Volley and Bayonet. Figures are Foundry, Dixon and Perry's. The French army "technically" won the game but were too exhausted to prevent the Allied army from withdrawing in good order.



4th Swiss and 13 Light.

More Highanders!

 Arthur, Dux Bellorum. Figures from Foundry and Old Glory. The Dark Ages are a fascinating period to game and are not just shield walls.

I love the English Civil War Period. Figures by Warlord Games and Foundry. In my opinion the best set of rules is Victory Without Quarter - and they are free!

Speaking of Civil Wars, the American Civil War is a great period to start due to the ease of painting the figures. My favorite rules are Fire and Fury. Most of the figures in the picture are 15mm figures from Old Glory.

Another of my favorite periods, thanks to the author Elizabeth Sutcliff, is the Late Roman Period. Figures by Wargames Foundry. 

 I love the British Colonial period too and use The Men Who Would be Kings as my rules of choice. Figures from Artizan and the machine gun is from Copplestone.

Plus it gives me an excuse to paint more Highlanders!

 Vikings are cool. Hard plastic miniatures from Gripping Beast.

And who doesn't like flying their own X-Wing?

Or be a knight of the air?

 Fantasy anyone? Dragon Rampant - any world of fantasy you want with any figures you have!





Meanwhile back in the 1940's:

 28 mm World War II: Late German Infantry.

 British Paratroopers.

Bagpipes!

German Paratroopers.

And now my latest obsession: In Her Majesty's Name. Skirmish gaming in a Victorian Sci Fi Universe of 1895.

German Marines fighting off Troglodytes!

 The French Foreign Legion.

Tarzan of the Apes.

Fu Manchu and his Mechanical Man!

 . . . and everyone was Kung Fu fighting.

Scotland Yard and a certain famous consulting detective.

 Dorothy Gale and her Untouchables

The Wicked Witch of the West.

 United States Marshals.

 The Pinkerton Detective Agency.

 Department "H" (there is no Department "H").

Lately I have also moved into the Pulp era:

 Tintin and Company.

 Seeking Adventure!

 Where ever the river takes us.

"I like punching Nazis. I really like punching Nazis."

 The men and women of Miskatonic University.

Masked Vigilantes.

Barsoom.

 Tharks . . . and they look angry . . .

Thanks again to all who make this hobby great!


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 10 years of blogging Neil! A lot of very fine photos there too. I can quite see why your 88mm gun made it into print..that is a beauty..as indeed are your other lovely models.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvellous collection! thanks for sharing!

    Where DOES the time go? Just yesterday I was trading in some old records at a shop and I was telling the new owners that I'd worked there for the previous owner and, when stopped to think about it, I realized that was between 16-20 years ago!? GAH!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. When they did the anniversary of the ground offensive for Desert Storm it seemed like it was only yesterday.

      Delete