As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Thursday, March 19, 2020

The Call of Cthulhu

Well this is not good.


After his classic defeat at an Oyster-Eating Contest in Fogburyport by the great Homer Simpson, Cthulhu decided to stick to the pulp era and now limits his inter dimensional evilness strictly to the time frame of 1895 to 1950. The H.P. Lovecraft Mythos are going to start playing peripheral and primary roles in our upcoming games.



The Star Spawn of Cthulhu is another Wizkids primed resin figure from their Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures Dungeons and Dragon range of figures. I've placed a 28mm Copplestone Miniature (Sam) next to Cthulhu to give an idea of the scale of the figure which was approximately $13 US. For the base coat I watered down some Vallejo Flat Yellow and applied it to all of the body area though a little dripped onto the "portal" area of this evil inter dimensional being. All paints used are Vallejo.


I then took US Dark Green, and you guessed it, I watered it down to create a wash and went over the yellow as I wanted to give my Cthulhu a putrid like effect.


Next up was to paint the claws (which are desperately in need of a manicure) Buff.


The back of the model. I wasn't quite sure at this stage what I wanted to do with the base so I painted it Dark Prussian Blue and of course I super glued it to the figure crookedly.


I repainted the eyes with Yellow and used some Leather Brown which I watered down to apply as a wash to the claws. I added just a touch of Flat Red to the "ears". At this stage I was still concerned with how the overall figure would look because frankly, in my opinion, the base looks awful. A good base can hide a multitude of sins and for once I did a great job on the monster only to screw up the base!


Another view of The Star Spawn of Cthulhu manifesting.


I did some highlighting by dry brushing with Olive Green and a little touch up with Buff to make the claws look really menacing (BWAH HAH HAH!). I still don't like the base.


Suddenly it dawned on me since Cthulhu was manifesting, why don't I put some cotton around the entire figure to hide the botched job on the base?


Now that looks like an evil inter dimensional creature showing up to do some bad stuff to good ole humanity!


The view from the other side . . .


. . . and from the back.


"My name is Randolph Carter, Keeper of the Silver Key and you shall not pass!"

"You know Randolph. Not only do I like punching Nazis, but I like messing up evil inter dimensional beings too."

8 comments:

  1. Great fun. Bravo on the basing save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really starting to get concerned about the base.

      Delete
  2. Looks great. The smoke around the base was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've told many a gamer/modeller: A good base can cover up a multitude of painting sins of the figure!

      Delete
  3. The chap is nicely done. Wouldn't want to see this blighter in some alley. On the other hand I seem to have felt like this before, on several occasions. They were monstrous sprees, I can tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Reaper Cthulhu. Unfortunately, I used a spray undercoat and five years later it is still tacky. Never, ever, spray the Reaper Bones minis....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered the same issue with the "Police Phone Box" I purchased from Reaper. Still they make great minis.

      Delete