As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Thursday, November 20, 2014

150 Followers? How did that happen?

I was getting ready to do an update on my English Civil War project and I noticed that I have 150 followers!

In celebration I thought I would upload some oldies by sentimental goodies.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I painting and gaming with them.


Wargames Foundry Early Imperial Romans.  This was a fun army to paint and looked great on the battlefield mounted for Warhammer Ancients. I think the centurion is actually a fantasy figure that was available from Games Workshop.  I sold this army when I decided to concentrate on the Late Roman period . . . but with those hard plastic figures from Warlord Games I may have to revisit this period.


A great Wild West shoot out after El Dorado Jo stole the gold from McNamara's mine using Play Mobile figures!

  

If you are going to play Warhammer Fantasy, how can you not have lots of greenskins and trolls?  Just point them in the right direction and yell "Charge!"  I really love the troll figures from GW.


My favorite Warhammer army is that of Bretonnia.  Here is a picture of the mounted yeoman.  The Bretonnian army can double for the 100 Years period if you are not a nit pick for historical detail and just love to game.


I became fascinated with the War of Spanish Succession during my first tour in Europe. Just a colorful as the Napoleonic period but with less "decorative attachments" to paint.


Figures are about 98% Dixon in 15 mm with the odd Hallmark figure thrown in.


My armies for the War of Spanish Succession are my largest with approximately 50 Infantry Regiments, 25 cavalry regiments and a bunch of artillery.




A few pictures from my American army for the American Revolution that was also sold to finance other projects.  Figures are Wargames Foundry, Perry Miniatures, Old Glory and Dixon.  Yep, the Perry Range and new hard plastic are calling my name . . .


Love the Late Roman Period and Dark Ages.


The very first period I gamed was the Napoleonic wars with 20 mm Airfix soldiers.  Above are 28 mm from Wargames Foundry and Front Rank Miniatures.


Perry Miniatures hard plastic 28 mm French Infantry painted as the 4th Swiss Regiment of Foot.


British Army for the Peninsular War.  Figures are Wargames Foundry and Front Rank in 28 mm mounted for Volley and Bayonet.

The Black Brunswickers from Perry Miniatures.  The mounted British officer is from Front Rank.


World War II is always a good period to game.  Since I am a military historian, and I know tanks are cool, the majority of my armies do consist of infantry.


German paratroopers.  Painting camouflage in 15 mm is an interesting challenge.  Fortunately Battle Honours has some excellent painting guides.




If an army has highlanders or bagpipers, I'm going to paint them.


The barbwire was actually easy to make with hanging wire and toothpicks.


Currently we have armies for the German Afrika Korps, British 8th Army and Australians in the desert, British in Europe 1944 - 1945, Germans in Europe 1943 - 1945 and Soviets 1942 - 1945.






In one of our games, this was the lone surviving British anti-tank gun that stopped my attack in its tracks.


For people starting out painting figures, I recommend the American Civil War.  Uniforms are easy to paint and most everyone knows something about the conflict.  The figures are 15 mm from various manufacturers.



Okay . . . Zouaves are a little bit harder to paint.



Last but not least, I have to thank my lovely bride of 28 years who allows a grown man to play with toy soldiers . . . I mean historical miniature figures! Thanks sweetie!



5 comments:

  1. What a fine collection of soldiery you have there! As am I, you are lucky to have an understanding spouse...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collection, Colonel. And well-deserved followers you have so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work, Colonel! I shall have to follow your blog. Kindest regards - Hal Thinglum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on the 150 followers, some great pics of your figures, love the WSS collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great collection! Beautiful colors...

    ReplyDelete