As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Here come the Hurons!

 

I was able to pick up the metal Woodland Indian War Party (paid link) for a reduced price since I had accumulated "Warlord Points" to significantly reduce the price. The box comes with 19 metal figures including the beautiful Sachem in the middle of the picture above. The box has just the right amount of figures to make a Large unit (18 figures) for Rebels and Patriots. (Paid link)

The challenge with painting irregular forces or forces that have irregular uniforms (like Confederates from the ACW), it is hard to set-up the assembly line technique I prefer: paint all the blue jackets, paint all the pants red, etc. The technique I have developed is to break the irregular forces down into smaller chunks - so I will be doing 6 at a time.

I also decided to go with the alternative basing method from the rules Rebels and Patriots for my irregular forces. I'll have 3 figures on a 40mm stand, 2 on a 30mm stand and 1 figure on a 25mm stand. I think it looks cool and will definitely make it easier to move a large unit. I have decided that any unit that can go into close order will stay mounted 1 figure to a stand as the aesthetics of straight order lines to me look better.

Sneak peek at some of the "scatter" terrain I am working on.







More Hurons will be coming, along with regular French Forces and Canadian Militia.

12 comments:

  1. Great looking Indians and scenery Neil, beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I was hesitant at first in purchasing the set based on the photos on the Warlord website but they are pretty good figures and not a single repeat in pose.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. Painting a group of figures, each having singular painting schemes, is much slower than production line painting. Good to tackle fewer figures in each batch, I find. Your Natives look fearsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan,
      Thanks. I'm glad I figured that out when I was doing a CSA army. Thanks for the comment on "fearsome"; that was the look I was going for. Virtually every account I've read about militia, regulars, and even veterans in forest fighting like the light infantry and rangers all mention how fierce the natives looked.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done, I see a lot of folks now doing the mixed base sizes in a unit for skirmishers and I think it looks and words well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      Thanks. That is exactly what I'm doing. Since I'm using "Rebels and Patriots" I'm not going to do the mixed base mounting for any unit that can go into close order. I think the Sergeant Major would not appreciate two well ordered lines!
      Neil

      Delete
  4. Needless to say your figures are outstanding as others have acknowledged but I am impressed with your basing scenery, particularly the broken tree. It looks like it might been struck by lightning. Well done.
    Cheers,
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rod,
      Thanks. I have a posting on the scatter terrain that will be out sometime after Christmas.
      Neil

      Delete
  5. Great work on these Hurons Neil...the quintessential "baddies" courtesy of "Last of the Mohicans "

    ReplyDelete