As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Friday, May 12, 2023

2023: The Plan

"You do realize it's May already?"
 
The Great Move is (mostly) over and I'm getting ready to start ramping up hobby time. I have had more success with my hobby by developing a plan over the last few years and 2023 will be no exception. This year will be a little different though. On with the plan!
 
 
1. Paint miniatures for Ogre. I love Ogre. It was one of the first games I purchased as a youngster and Honorable Son #3 (The Engineer) loves the game and bought the latest version which is a lot bigger that the pocket sized edition I had!  So of course I bought him Ogre game miniatures for the game and now that I can throw a rock and hit where he lives, it'll be time for some giant cybernetic tank action. Before I moved, I did some test paints for him to see if they fit his vision and I'm glad to say that they did. Some white spray paint and GW contrast paints; hopefully it won't take me too long to finish the project . . . and I am looking forward to painting the Mark III and V Ogres.
 
Part of the game board.
 
Heavy Tank.
The Ground Effect Vehicle (GEV) is excellent for hit and run.

The poor bloody infantry. Do not underestimate them!
 
2. The Northwest Frontier circa 1890. I use the rules The Men Who Would be Kings for my Colonial battles. My initial Indian Army is almost finished but the Pashtun/Afghan Tribal force is falling behind. 
 
 
    a.  Pashtun/Afghan Tribal force. When finished the core force will be:
        3 Irregular Infantry of 12 figures each.
        2 Tribal Infantry of 16 figures each.
        1 BFG.
 
The BFG.
 
    So far I have completed one Irregular Infantry, 1/2 of the second Irregular Infantry unit, one Tribal Infantry unit and the BFG. My goal this year is to finish the 1 1/2 units of Irregular Infantry and one more Tribal unit. All of the figures (with the exception of the BFG crew) are hard plastic miniatures from Perry Miniature's Afghan Tribesmen Box.

   
     b. Indian Army. Before we decided to move I was planning on adding 1 Highlander unit, 1 Sikh unit and 1 Ghurka unit. I have scaled this back for this year and plan on painting the Gordon Highlanders. Miniatures will be from Perry Miniatures.

3. Learn/play at least two new miniature games (well new to me anyway). Here is a hint of one of them:



4. Play some games and meet new gamers
 
 
 
Three of my Honorable Sons live near me now that I have moved and Honorable Son #2 (The Captain) has already committed to playing the French and Indian War using Rebels and Patriots.
 
 

 
We are definitely going to play a big battle Napoleonic game since I have never defeated Honorable Son #4 (The Greatest 18th Century General who ever Lived) in a game with muskets. Of course there will be some action on the Northwest Frontier and I'm sure we will get and English Civil War game in too. And who knows, maybe we will end up in an area of space a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I'm looking forward to meeting hobbyists in the area and have already checked out two stores.

Well that's the plan. Time to execute.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fine plan! Even should it not survive contact with regality, even a partial exception of same sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For painting I'm not going to be overly ambitious this year as their are items I want to change in my backyard. The main priorities will be the Ogre miniatures and my Pashtun/Afghan Tribal troops.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I saw a film about the attack on Fort Saragarhi. The film was Kisari. Twenty one Sikhs of the 36th Sikh regiment against 10K Afghans!. Some choice anti-British language and dodgy acting and singing!, but I liked it overall. I thought you might to if you saw it. It was on Amazon Prime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have seen the movie, (and a few others) and even wrote a paper about the battle when it was recommended to me by an Indian officer while I was at the Staff College. When I get around to putting on the blog my ideas for gaming the uprising of 87-88, the 36th Sikh is an interesting additon. Not just for Saragarhi. The unit had not combat experience, yet the excellent training, morale, officers, the Commanding officer and overall esprit made this unit one of the best units and go to units in the entire conflict.

      Delete
  3. Seems like a solid plan Neil, lets see how it survives contact with the "enemy"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Real life. My priority in painting will be the Orge figures and finishing the Pashtun/Afghan tribal figures - plus corralling my Honorable Sons into games and meeting new games.

    ReplyDelete