As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Thursday, January 4, 2024

Pulp Figures 2023 Movember Fund Raiser: Pukka Sahib Mucham


 Every year Bob Murch, owner and sculpter of Pulp Figures, is a strong supporter of Movember. Movember is an annual, month-long event involving the growing of mustaches during the month of November to raise funds for and awareness of prostate cancer and other male cancer and mental health issues. The goal of Movember is to change the face of men's health.

This year I decided to paint this wonderful figure as an officer of Skinner's horse. Paints used are Citadel (GW), Citadel Contrast Paints (GWC) and Vallejo (V) Here is the painting guide I did:

This time, since I would be using some GWC I decided to prime the figure white.

Theface was painted with GW Cadian Fleshtone for a base color.

The paggri (turban) was given a base of GWC Nazdreg Yellow The trim to the front of the Kurta (uniform blouse), and belts and webbing I used GWC Snakebite Leather. The face was given a light wash of GWC Darkoath Flesh.

The face was given highlights of V Dark Flesh.

The back of the figure.

I decided to use a base color of GWC Nazdreg Yellow on the uniform since there are a variety of contemporary illustrations showing various shades of yellow - from yellow ochre to lemon yellow.

The black on the turban, cummerbund, and boats are GWC Black Templar. I decided to make the belt a "redder" leather and used some watered down GWC Blood Angels Red. The blue on the cummerbund is V Dark Blue and for the medals I used V Flat Green, Flat Red and Flat Yellow. The tulwar was first painted with V Flat Black and then gone over with V Silver. I don't usually paint eyes at my advanced age and you can see why. I fixed them later.

For the chainmail epaulets I first used V Black and then V Silver. Are you getting the feeling I don't use a lot of fancy colors? The gloves were given a base of V Medium Gray and the V Flat White.

The kullah in the middle of the turban was painted with GWC Blood Angels Red and the top was painted V Gold to denote an officer. The scabbard for the tulwar was also painted with GWC Snakebite Leather and the metallic parts were first painted V Flat Black and then V Gold. Members of Skinner's Horse shown carrying tulwars had a variety of browns and blacks for the scabbards. Spurs are V Silver.

Looking good but from an aesthetic view, I decided to lighten the uniform. I carefully (carefully!!!) went back and painted the uniform, trying not to ruin the shading with GW Golden Yellow and then a thin wash of GWC Yellow.

Much better as I prefer the lighter tone better. The cross bar on the tulwar is V Gold as is the buckle on the belt. I did an "X" in V Black to represent the regimental crest.



Ta Dah! He will make a fine addition to adventures along the Northwest Frontier in a historical setting, Hollywood and with pulp adventures.




4 comments:

  1. This officer looks as magnificent as his moustache, an auspicious beginning to 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross! Great sculpts are easy to paint and Bob Murch did a great job.

      Delete
    2. A stout looking fellah, Neil, and I agree with your choice on the yellow of his Kurta!

      Delete
    3. Thanks. I made the yellow color decision right at the end as I thought it just "looked" right.

      Delete