As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Sunday, January 14, 2024

The Search for Charlie Episode 1.3: Financing the Search

"Cut!" yelled Merrik Von Stroheim, world famous director and sometime producer for RTO Films. "Now I want you to move closer Generalmajor Strasser."

"Perfect!"

From Sam's Journal:


"I know as much about money as the next guy, but I knew we would need some extra dough to conduct the search properly. I was picking up clues, here and there, rumors mostly, and I was beginning to think this was going to be an expensive look. So I went to the money man. Yep, I went to the boss - the owner of the agency. The Colonel made arrangements with RTO films for exclusive rights and distribution of "the movie" if they would finance the investigation. The Colonel has some good contacts."

"Okay everyone take a 10 minute break. Not you sweet heart - I need more sweat and fear in your performance and 'hanging around' for 10 more minutes will do it."


Merrik Von Stroheim is the world renown director, and sometime producer, who captivates the world with his on location filming and fast paced, hair raising films.  Not many know, but he is also German nobility, but he keeps his title a closely guarded secret. An arrogant and highly intelligent man, his skills and personality have propelled him to the top of his career. With success comes controversy; though, only whispers but no one willing to go on the record from the film industry and risking blacklisting. Some stars refuse to work with him due to his demanding schedules and unothodox methods. There are unsubtantiated rumors of the near death of starlet Vera Veller at the hands of some mythical frog monster that only the crackpots at Miskatonic University would believe.

Captain George Sutherland, DSO, on half pay with the Gordon Highlanders. He gained his combat experience on the Northwest Frontier, Turkey and in Palestine. He is wearing his Regimental tie.


Captain George Sutherland, DCM, is the kind of officer and warrior you want in combat - but not in peacetime. The peacetime  army rarely knows what to do with a soldier of his capability; and Captain Sutherland has no patience for the paperwork, politics and bureaucracy that comes with sitting in a headquarters when more timid and cautious officers look for scapegoats for their lack of decisiveness. Interestingly, information on his awarding of the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) is scarce, though Whitehall confirms he is authorized to wear the medal. Unsubstantiated rumors of a denied Victorian Cross in Palestine was in retribution and to cover up the cowardice of REDACTED and he was awarded the DCM and put on half pay as a sop. Merrik Von Stroheim, recognizing his innate skills in camera work, hired him as his chief camera man - plus his other talents have proven useful too!


Another "outcast" hired by Merrik Von Stroheim is "former police" officer Miss Peggy Allen. Disgusted with the corruption and the "look the other way" of her department, Miss Allen took the highly recommended leave of absence offered by the city. She has become Von Stoheim's go to for almost everything - though often he does not realize. He also hasn't noticed her other hobbies of checking on Stroheim and the areas he films. She has noticed the glances of the stoic Captain Sutherland. Oh, and she's good with a pistol too.


"Something doesn't look right . . . Is that . . ???!!! "


This is Kevin. Every group has a Kevin. Sorry Kevin.


"Generalmajor Strasser! Where is my, err, endowment money for my film institute? The payment is late and you know I won't tolerate lateness!"

"ACTION!"

2 comments:

  1. Excellent kick off Neil - I love the PULP FIGURES film crew - I have been tempted by them myself - indeed, I have been tempted by about 75% of the range at one time or another - I will get to them all one day, I hope! I do have several of Bob Murches excellent packs - but we always need more, don't we?! Looking forward to following this Pulp adventure over the coming weeks/months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way. Year after year I looked at that beautiful pack of the film crew - I'm glad I finally purchased them.

      Delete