As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Thursday, March 7, 2024

The Search for Charlie Episode 1.7: The Batman

"They think I am hiding in the night. But I am the night."

From Sam's Journal: "The world is getting screwier. I served in the Great War . . . and since the war, things have just changed. For the worst. We were honest detectives, and Charlie and I saw some unexplained events. But Charlies gone and there's gangs, and Nazis and a rumored megalomaniac scientist and a psychopathic clown making headlines - and some urban legend of an avenging angel dressed as a devil or a bat . . . "


After I came up with the brilliant idea (I thought it was brilliant) to paint a figure as the Joker for our 1930's Pulp campaing "The Search for Charlie" I knew I had to come up with a 1930's figure for The Batman. 


Finding out what Batman looked like in the 1930's is easy; finding a figure is not. Then I saw a HeroClix Batman and Superman that were made for the Batman vs. Superman movie and the figure for the caped crusader was pretty close so it's conversion time!


Mmmm . . . the Caped Crusader is tall. Of course he is! He's The Batman! Next to the HeroClix figure is a 28mm figure from Pulp figure on two bases. How to remove the base? I love the internet. Put the figure in the freezer for one hour. The base and the smaller base that the figure are on are hard plastic and it was easy to pry the small base from the bigger base and then I used by sharp hobby knife to remove the figure from the smaller base.

A one hour trip to the Fortress of Solitude in the Arctic.

Handy dandy hobby knife.


Okay that is much better. The figure is still noticeably taller - BUT HE'S THE BATMAN!


Okay we are making progress. Did I mention that I got the HeroClix figures from a Used Book Store for $2.50 USD? Since the figure was already painted (yes I check the internet for ideas!) I decided no priming was needed; but, I wanted the black parts to have some texture and I needed to give the figure the classic under wear look. I used Vallejo flat white to paint the cowl, the cape, the utility belt and to give him some underwear since I was going to use Citadel Contrast Black Templar. I accidentally painted his face so his face will be repainted too.


As I memtioned the cape and cowl were painted with CC Black Templar. I painted the face with CC Darkoath Flesh and the utility belt with CC Iyanden Yellow. The eyes I used Vallejo Flat white.  I wanted the main costume lighter so I did a light dry brush with Vallejo Neutral Grey. After looking at this picture I went back and cleaned up some spots. I used part of the old base on the stand to use as concrete.

Just a touch of clean up on the cowl and we are ready to terrorize criminal elements.

"Fear is a tool. When that light hits the sky, it’s not just a call. It’s a warning. For them."

3 comments:

  1. Great work on the Batman figure there, Neil, and I look forward toseeing how gets involved in the Sesrch for Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it’s going to an adventure of monumental scale - and I’m going to keep it a secret how some other characters (already painted but the players follow this blog!).

      Delete
  2. Good stuff Neil.

    ReplyDelete