As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Thursday, September 12, 2024

Unmatched Battle of Legends, Volume 1: Sinbad

 

"Well this is embarrassing. And why did he forget to paint my right eye?"

I love the Sinbad figure from Unmatched: Battle of Legends, Volume 1. To me, I immediately thought the inspiration for the figure was the classic 1973 fantasy adventure film The Golden Voyage of Sinbad directed by Gordon Hessler, with stop-motion effects by Ray Harryhausen. Sinbad is portrayed by actor John Phillip Law. There was no doubt in my military mind that I had to replicate the character as close as possible to the film.


A bit of trivia, Tom Baker plays Prince Koura, the main antagonist of the film. Baker's performance helped him get the lead role of the Fourth Doctor in the TV series Doctor Who, because the show's producer, Barry Letts, was impressed with his performance. The Doctor!


For this hard plastic 28 mm figure, painting the skin had to be right with the muscular body (not to mention going back and painting his right eye!). I started with a base of Citadel Tallarn Flesh Base, followed by Vallejo Dark Flesh and then a wash of Citadel Contrast Snakebite leather.

The artistry of Ray Harryhausen stop motion photography.



"I started my own business: Killing Monsters and Rescuing Princesses, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment