As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Friday, April 24, 2020

IHMN: Some thoughts for the Beginner in Designing an Adventuring Company, Part 2

 The Witch King of Sokur with some of his heinous toadies and henchmen.

Continuing on from Part 1, Honorable Son #5 (The Skirmisher) pointed out that there are other views that need to be addressed when designing an Adventuring Company - primarily his. He has rightly pointed out that he has defeated me more in IHMN than any other person! Well, here are the first 3 questions again with the answers from Honorable Son #5 (The Skirmisher) on what to do when deciding or designing an Adventuring Company.

1. Why do you want to play this game
   As the youngest of 5 brothers and with a father who is an avid gamer (along with my brothers) it was only natural that I was forced (err, invited) to participate in gaming with the rest of the family. At the time my Dad and brothers preferred large scale wargames such as Napoleonics and WW II gaming, but I preferred moving individual figures as characters. I started with Play Mobile figures doing Western Shoot Outs (See the Shootout at the Golden Nugget) and Knights hacking and slashing each other. I prefer individually mounted figures. Games Workshop's LOTR really got me going and when IHMN came along, well, I had a new game to destroy and humiliate (BWAH HAH HAH) my illustrious Father.

 The Destroyer.

2. What do you like
     I'm a big fantasy fan. The first series I really got into was the Redwall books and I gradually grew up to reading The Lord of the Rings and all of the books Christopher Tolkien edited. I also like science fiction especially the Ender series and the H.G. Wells books. With my background in fantasy, I wanted companies that have a major component of magic and mystical powers - plus someone has to be the bad guy! Knowing that my Dad and his friends were fire and maneuver types, I decided to use Mystical Powers and cheap, inexpensive figures to use overwhelming numbers to well, overwhelm them. The Witch King of Sokur was my first company and my favorite. He is your typical evil sorcerer that is mysterious, has sub-human troglodytes that have a remarkable resemblance to the Uruk-Hai, African Native auxiliaries to give me just enough fire power to harass those do-gooders and the occasional monster. Plus being the conqueror of the world is fun (BWAH HAH HAH).

How many targets can YOU hit in one turn?


Told you.


3. Where do I get figures?
     That's the easiest part. When your Dad likes to paint figures . . . the variety he has is truely phenomenal (Editors Note: I paid him to write that.), plus the occasional hint doesn't hurt. Here is the new Witch King he painted for me for my High School Graduation:

 The new Witch King is one of the Nazgul figures from Games Workshop.

I will ensure that I will remind my Dad my design notes on creating Adventuring Companies!

Next: How I (and my Honorable Sons) make and also design new companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment