As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Friday, September 18, 2020

British Highland Light Infantry Company for the French and Indian War

 British Highlander Light Infantry from NorthStar Miniatures. They are the usual excellemt quality from NorthStar with realistic proportions, historical accuracy, hardly noticeable mold lines and minimal flash.
 
I grew up in central Pennsylvania the Allegheny Mountains and I have always been drawn to the first world war, the one that began in a remote glen in southwestern Pennsylvania in 1753 and by its end changed the look of the world in 1763.  It sets up the American War of Independence, the decades of war between Britain and France -- in many ways, the modern age itself.
 
 
Three proud Highland regiments fought in North America during the French and Indian (Seven Year's War - which was Nine for North America): The 77th Foot (Montgomery's Highlanders), the 78th Foot (Fraser's Highlanders), and the Black Watch, the 42nd (Highland) Regiment of Foot. The 42nd would be designated in 1758 as the 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment. Undoubtedly, the exploits of the 42nd, 77th and 78th Highlanders in some of the most bloody and desperate battles on the North American continent were a critical factor in transforming the overall image of Highlanders from Jacobite rebels to Imperial heroes in the latter half of the 18th century.


The Light Infantry Companies, spurred on by Lord Howe, were trained by and with American Provincials and the Ranger companies to be more effective for their regiments in the American wilderness. The companies removed all lace, replaced their broadswords with tomahawks, and often wore leggings under their kilts to protect their legs in the thick underbrush. They earned a fearsome reputation with the French, Canadians and their Indian allies.

Whoops, I have to fix the plaid of the middle lad!
 
Currently I am building a company, based on a generic Highland unit for use with (paid link) Rebels and Patriots (Paid link). I say generic because I really haven't decided which unit I'll do: The 42nd had yellow facings (I'm not going to dive into the controversy as to what actual year they switched to blue as a royal regiment), the 77th had green facings and the 78th had white. I've painted these figures with a "faded" yellow look so I can change the facings later if I change my mind. Anyway, I'm a big fan of Daniel Mersey and Michael Leck and their rules are fast, playable and simulate the warfare of the period. I must admit, the NorthStar release of Muskets and Tomahawks II got me started, and the Northstar figure packs for the games are already organized as units. I might have to give them a try.
 
 
For Rebels and Patriots (Paid Link) I'm thinking of building (for starters) this 24 point basic force:
 
1. 1 Large Aggressive Shock Infantry unit (Highlanders) @ 7 points. Highland units were larger than regular British Line so I think this will be appropriate.
2. 1 Small Aggressive Light Infantry unit (Highland Light Infantry) @ 6 points.
3. 1 Small unit of Aggressive, Veteran Light Infantry (Rangers) @ 8 points.
4. 1 Aggressive Skirmishers (Mohawk Tribe) @ 3 points.

I already have all of the figures I need for this force (16 more kilts to paint - sigh) and I have started getting their French opponents. Needless to say I will be updating you on my progress!



6 comments:

  1. Nicely done Neil, impressive tartans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. They drive me nuts but well worth it.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely rendered Highlanders Neil - I would go for the 78th if I were you - everyone has the Black Watch, very common!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s true. I think they had the same facings for most of the war.

      Delete