As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Tower Rex Watermill

 

28mm FIW Rangers from North Star carefully crossing the bridge at McGuffin's Watermill.

Honorable Son #2 (The Captain) and his Beautiful Bride (The Lawyer) gave me for Christmas my second MDF kit which is a Watermill get from Tower Rex. I never heard of Tower Rex so I looked them up. They are an Etsy shop and though it is geared to fantasy, the overwhelming majority of their buildings can also be used for historical gaming. And did I mention they have FREE SHIPPING. This will be perfect for our upcoming battles in The French and Indian War using Rebels and Patriots. And don't be surprised if it shows up in my fantasy world using Dragon Rampant.



This was an easy kit to put together and I actually timed myself. I learned my lesson from my first kit, an airship I am calling the Audacity and I painted the parts I wanted painted before I put the model together. I would say 90% of the model is just snap together - and the fit is great and tight. There are some parts that need white glue like parts of the water wheel and the small boat. It took me about 1 hour to paint what I wanted painted (the stones and the water) and 1 hour and 20 minutes to but the kit together. I probably added another 15 minutes adding some tufts and grass to hide the 2 dimensional plants on the base of the mill. 


One word of warning, when I opened the package, several of the parts came loose and fell out easily from the MDF board so be careful to keep track of your parts. And I must admit, great instructions and pictures for assembly. I'm not the greatest model maker in the world and I had no problems whatsoever.


I might go back and add some hobby sand on the base but for now it looks just fine for a fight.


I failed to mention that the roof just sits on the building so you can remove it and put figures inside. A fine edition to the table top and their other products are reasonably priced (I've got my eye on a couple buildings that will perfect for the colonial period in America and some great wagons).

This watermill definitely gets a 2 thumbs up and will be on many a battlefield.

12 comments:

  1. Nice tip Neil .. the building looks good so I will check out that producer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised how easy it was to build. The prices are reasonable and free shipping!

      Delete
  2. That's a very nice model indeed, Neil. Thanks for sharing, I shall look the company up.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason. I really was impressed how smoothly (and tightly) the pieces went together and how easy it was to make.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Jonathan,
      Thanks. I was surprised how versatile it would be with my existing collections. I actually fooled around today and had a few figures do some Three Musketeer action today in and around the mill.
      Neil

      Delete
  4. What did you paint it with? Did you see any warping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale,
      I just used regular Vallejo paints and no warping at all.
      Regards,
      Neil

      Delete