As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

August Break Repost: Kong

 

Kong of Skull Island

I think we have all done it - the shiny new toy syndrome. I know I have and I have done it again but with a twist. One of my favorite Adventuring Companies/Leagues/whatever game you are playing is Lord Greystoke's: better known as Tarzan of the Apes. When I saw the advertisement for the new Giant Ape from Wizkids, I thought to myself, "Self, that would make an excellent addition as a Mangani (Great Ape) for Tarzan's team!" The smaller figures come two to a pack and I thought this would be excellent.

 Tarzan and my current mangani which came from a toy set of African animals.

Tarzan and the new mangani. Hmmm . . . something doesn't look right.

Imagine my surprise when the Giant Ape came and I opened the package and there was a . . . well . . . Giant Ape! Yikes. That'll teach me not to read the entire description including dimensions and size. On the gripping hand, it's a beautiful figure and I know it will be featured soon in one of my games. 


Painting black figures can be a challenge to bring out the detail; fortunately this figure is well sculpted for dry brushing so I mainly used Vallejo Grey Green to bring out the details. 


The model designer out did themselves with the detail on the face.

Another view but Kong looks lighter - that's the flash ladies and gents.

Ann Darrow had to show up sooner or later.

 As Ken Watanabe said, "Let them fight."

10 comments:

  1. I played some games based on Tusk rules including King Kong games. The girl had to be rescued and Kong, if possible, knocked out with gas bombs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right - this is my third attempt to leave this comment - not sure if the issue is with your blog for some reason or with my antiquated iPad - but I have been 90% of the way through twice previously and the bloody thing has crashed and reloaded the site - and my comments have vanished! All I wanted to say was - 1 This is a great figure 2 You have painted it beautifully 3 I may purchase some of the same brand as they are available locally at one of our few bricks and mortar hobby stores 4 Your recent Grab the Guru report has inspired me to paint up all my Bob Murch figures and I am now contemplating a full scale sortee into Pulp gaming - thanks a lot, I really needed another project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one gorgeous, gigantic gorilla you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The sculpting and animation of the figure is really excellent and gave me an opportunity to practice some new shading and brushing techniques.
      Neil

      Delete
  4. I love the ideas you have on your blog- simple cost effective and great appeal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,
    Thank you. I’ll be publishing a new post soon on making simple, cost effective rocky terrain that I think looks great.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete