As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Sunday, September 19, 2021

A fun Victorian Sci-Fi Conversion

Balgar "The Fox" Fraser: Soldier, explorer, hunter and slayer of monsters and other nefarious baddies that threaten the Empire. 

When I did the 42nd Highland Regiment for the French and Indian War, I had a few figures left over. I used two of the figures to make disorder markers for my Highlander FIW units for the ruleset Rebels and Patriots leaving me one spare figure. About 8 months later I was rearranging and cleaning my hobby room when I came across some sprues from the Warhammer hard plastic Pistoliers and Engineers. As I looked at the ridiculously sized weapons for the Engineers, I got a crazy idea and at the same time, a new idea for a Scottish adventuring company for In Her Majesty's Name.



I carefully cut off the left hand of my 18th Century Highlander from Warlord Games and also the musket. I left the stock of the musket in place as it fit nicely with the GW nock gun/Gatling gun (I see a use for both in IHMN2!). Using some trimming of the hard plastic weapon to make it look "realistic" I then used some super glue to affix the weapon. I'll be honest; I gave myself a pat on the back.

I wanted him to have the look of a former soldier; but, I did not want him to be wearing a uniform of the late 19th century. So instead, I decided to go with browns and a more subdued, "man of the countryside" look. To hide the 18th century lace and other uniform details, I strategically placed knives and pouches from the Gripping Beast hard plastic Viking Hirdmen box set (save those bits!)



Here is what the original figure would have looked like painted compared to the conversion:


The completed, and well armed Highlander ready to take on the enemies of the Queen-Empress! He is mounted on a 25mm round Litko base.

"Let me introduce ye tae mah wee friend!" 

"Let me introduce ye tae mah wee friend!" 





 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so and I'm going to have a lot of fun with him playing In Her Majesty's Name.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. That is a very spiffy conversion. Not something anyone else is likely to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone once in a while I get a good idea.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. Words cannot describe it, just great...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very imaginative use of the spare parts box Neil - now you have one figure, you will need a few more to build the entire adventuring company!

    ReplyDelete