As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Secret Project Number One: Back to Where my Miniature Gaming Started

Secret projects. We all love them. I mentioned that I had two in my 2022 plan, if approved by the Ministry of Finance. I am pleased to announce that Secret Project Number One is a go. The project I am referring to is getting back to my gaming roots. Though I have really enjoyed the projects and armies I have done over the last 6 years there has been a nagging feel by Derek and the Dominoes just started on my playlist. Nothing like great music to write, paint and game by!)

Once upon a time, there was a boy whose father gave him a copy of A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs and I was forever hooked. I traveled to Barsoom, and then Pellucidar and then the Hyberion Age with a certain famous barbarian who would be king.


It wasn't long after that I was in Lost Worlds, traveling with Lord Greystoke and fighting evil with The Shadow.  About the same time I discovered 1/72 scale Airfix plastic figures and a company called Avalon Hill. My father bought me my first board game, Stellar Conquest and I bought my second - Panzer Blitz.  Not bad for someone who was 11 . . . and the rest they say is history.

Yep. It's all Arfix's fault.

It was the plastic 1/72 scale Airfix Napoleonic figures that first really got me interested in gaming and collecting soldiers as a kid. Both my brothers got hooked too with gaming; but it was my brother who is 2 years younger than me (The Marine) who was my companion and explorer as we built miniature armies to fight the wars of Napoleon.

Go ahead. Try to guess my age!

We were making up our own rules and I bought a book called Wargaming for Beginners.
 Then I discovered Bruce Quarrie's Airfix gaming guide, that eventually became Napoleon's Campaigns in Miniature that got be hooked on real wargaming with toy soldiers when I was a teenager.


A bit worn about the edges - but what a classic!

I have recently discovered this book and the rules that come with them and I'm going to give them a try.
:
In tribute to my first love of miniature gaming, I have decided that it's time to get back into Napoleonic gaming; specifically the Peninsular war. The challenge is:

1. Getting enough figures to fight big battles. For me, Napoleonic's need to involve battles of Brigade level or higher.



2. Painting the figures. It was the age of the "Military Tailor" and the uniforms are colorful. I'm basically a 25 to 28mm painter these days. It takes time to paint figures and I want to fight battles now! (Selfish, aren't I?)

3. Painting services (and figures too) are expensive.

4. I don't want to interrupt the other projects I am working on.

I'm still working on my Anglo-British Army.

So what to do?

Next: What to do.

9 comments:

  1. Its funny I was talking about Bruce Quarrie last night with my long suffering wargames opponent.I l have always loved the actual book which was packed with information but the rules....... I know it was a time when we were attempting to prove to the general public that we werent playing with toy soldiers but were serious military historians but the rules were ridiculously complex and a bit silly. Still we needed to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good start and I still like some of the concepts. I prefer the playability versus over realistic these days. Still loved the ruled though.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. Since we seem to have had a very similar wargaming trajectory, we likely are very close in age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Zimmerman books! Did you see the ads on Gene McCoy’s “Wargames Digest”? That’s where I ordered mine. The Revolutionary wars rules and ancient ones were pretty good.
    Like you my start was Airfix sets and Giant toys bought at grocery stores and pharmacies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a small world! That is exactly where I ordered my copies of the Zimmerman books!
      Neil

      Delete
    2. Me too! I got Gygax’s Tricolor from WD as well. Maybe Tractics too?

      Delete
  4. I guess Zimmermann must be an American author - I have not heard of him! I recognise the packet of Airfix figures and the Bruce Quarrie book though - I agree with the sentiment IWG above too - the concepts etc were unnecessarily complicated and nit picking in my opinion! Re your secret project - coincidentally (or perhaps not) at the bottom of my screen RIGHT NOW is an advert for a local online supplier showing boxes of Warlord Epic Battles Waterloo Campaign.....!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That he was. His rules were published in the mid seventies. How about that coincidence?
      Neil

      Delete