As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Sunday, November 24, 2019

The Creature: Monster or Man?

“I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other.” 

I purchased the Pulp Alley miniatures Zdenko Cerny and Rook mainly because Zdenko is the splitting image of Professor Calculus. Rook, on the other hand, seems to be your typical street brawler. As always, they came with cards for the game Pulp Alley. I already had some street brawlers for my skirmish games so I decided to do something different: Use Rook as the Creature from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Most Hollywood and TV versions of the Creature or Monster have little resemblance to the description Miss Shelley described Frankenstein's monster as an 8 foot tall (2.4 m) creature of hideous contrasts:
His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips.
 Not the best looking guy on the block.

 I decided to go with a mix of the two, to have my Creature more human looking but use the "traditional" green tint to the skin. Needless to say, this figure is not in proportion as an 8 foot tall monster, but he looks tough enough.

For the game In Her Majesty's Name I am using the game stats provided by their Gothic supplement with the addition of the Talent Numb for a point cost of 61.


 The Creature takes on the minions of Professor Moriarty.

"Hateful day when I received life!' I exclaimed in agony. 'Accursed creator! Why did you form a monster so hideous that even you turned from me in disgust? God, in pity, made man beautiful and alluring, after his own image; but my form is a filthy type of yours, more horrid even from the very resemblance. Satan had his companions, fellow-devils, to admire and encourage him; but I am solitary and abhorred."

For In Her Majesty's Name I may just use the Creature as a wild card - showing up and being the hero or villain depending on the circumstances.

 Werewolf? There wolf.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought I would try something different. I'm thinking of adding the Berserker Talent also for IHMN.

      Delete