As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Ogre: A Classic Returns

A Classic Returns!

As a teenager sometime back in the 19th Century I had the original Ogre and GEV (Ground Effect Vehicle) board games which were (need I say) cool. If you are not familiar with the basic scenario one side has a combined force of heavy tanks, missile tanks, artillery, GEV's (armored hovercraft), armored infantry and a command post. The other side has an Ogre - a giant cybernetic tank. Oh and the best part it's cool! (Whoops, already said that). Plus it has excellent play balance.



In 2016 the 6th edition was released (6th Edition? Where was I?), but it is a giant version of the original microgame. It features large 3-D constructible models of the Ogre Mark V, two Ogre Mark III's, the Command Post and a mobile Command Post. Thank goodness for me that Honorable Son #3 bought one for himself.

I've set up my defense against Honorable Son #3 (The Engineer) to stop the huge Mark V.

The Command Post.

Trying to stop it . . . my advice: go for the long range missiles and the treads to slow it down and eventually make it immobile. If you are good at cavalry tactics, the GEV's are your best friend: move, shoot and move.

This is the mobile Command Post.

Cardboard cut-outs and easy to put together.

The poor bloody infantry takes out quite a few of the treads . . . until they get run over.

The Mark III is trying to break through.

The counters are reversible. Here is a disabled Missile tank.

There are also plastic miniatures you can buy and for his birthday, I got a box of miniatures for Honorable Son #5. And yes I did lose the game when the barely moving and burning Ogre ran over my command post. Looking forward to that next game with the miniatures! All are available at Steve Jackson Games, online retailers or Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment