As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Monday, February 10, 2020

Priming Figures Part 2: A Story of Black and White starring The Red Queen and DA Denton


Dang, The Red Queen looks a bit sad and I still need to fix her forehead. Time to start adding highlights. For her skin I went back over with Basic Flesh Tone to make her paler but being careful not to cover up any of the shading from the dark flesh. You may notice that I did not do a perfect job on fixing the imperfection of the molding on the forehead, but at a gaming distance on the tabletop it looks just fine.

I painted her pearls Flat Black and then just dabbed Flat White so we could see the jewelry. For the eyes (I'm not as good as I used to be with eyes - early onset of OLD), I first painted Neutral Gray as some eyeliner, then Flat Black and then some Flat White. I carefully dabbed a dot of Flat Black for the actual eyes.

I added some GW Red Wash to the hair, another coat of Neutral Gray to the gloves, and Earth Brown to the revolver handle. Eyebrows - sorta. I put some GW Skrag Brown above the eyes.

 Now I am in more familiar territory. Denton's suit is highlighted with Sky Blue, buttons are flat white and I finished the shirt first with Buff and then Flat White. The tie is Flat Red and needs some cleanup around the shirt. I took some flat brown, watered it down and used it as a wash on the overcoat. I highlighter the shoes with Flat Earth and started experimenting with the various metal paints I have for the Tommy gun.
 He looks like a mess right now, but trust me, it'll get better. Oh and I added some Flat White for the headband and used the brown wash on the hat also.

Currently where we are at in the process with both figures. I have done no highlighting of The Red Queen's Dress or shoes as the white primer brought out the highlights nicely.

 View from the back. You may have noticed I highlighted DA Denton's gloves with some Neutral Gray.

Just about done. I went back over Denton's overcoat with Buff, and added a Dark Blue line at the top of The Red Queen's glove. I just dry brushed the revolver with Silver. For the Tommy Gun I used Gun Metal and the Highlighted carefully with Silver. I also added some Flat Red highlights to the Red Queen's Hair.

 Denton is basically finished. I added GW Skrag Brown over a base of flat brown for the Tommy Gun handle. I did some additional "clean-up" with the pants and hat. The side of the base was painted Chocolate Brown.

The two completed figures. Yes that is my finger print on The Red Queens base.

 Speaking of bases, I use watered down white glue and spread it over the base . . . 

 . . . then I add hobby sand. Once the sand is dry I put another coat of watered down glue over the sand.

For static grass (I use Gale Force Nine) I randomly add some watered down white glue and dio the bases in my static grass tupperware container. And yes I did  paint over my finger print. Once dry, I spray a clear, flat finish to help hold the static grass down and to protect the paint on the figures.

Time for adventure. The Black Prime made DA Denton look rugged and the White Prime made The Red Queen stand out and look flashy and glamorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment