As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Monday, June 15, 2020

Prelude to "The Egyptian Adventure"


I have always been a fan of the Amelia Peabody Series of Adventures about Egyptology, mystery, murder, Hidden Kingdoms, Master Criminals and all sorts of mayhem. The series starts in 1884 with Crocodile on the Sandbank and finishes in 1922-1923 in the book The Tomb of the Golden Bird with the discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb. As my gaming interests of late have drifted to the late 19th and early 20th Century, I finally convinced myself (it wasn't hard) to run a series of games based on these 20 books written by the Egyptologist Barbara Mertz under the pen name of Elizabeth Peters. For the games I will be using the adult version of all characters so their will be some "fudging" of time periods.

 Some of the tourists visiting the Valley of Luxor.


Over the years I've been looking for a figure to represent Amelia (more on her in future posts) but was unable to find a suitable figure with an umbrella (she is famous for her umbrella) in a field environment. While browsing Wargames Foundry's website I discovered a new (at least to me) range of figures called "Egyptian Adventurers". One of the female figures does have an umbrella and is dressed for adventure; however, she looked to stout for me to be Peabody (as her husband refers to her - another future post)  based on the descriptions of Peabody in the book. There are two figures of women excavating and the one standing - "Tah dah!" - would be the Peabody figure sans umbrella.


A bit out of focus but this will be my famous "Amelia Peabody". More and better pictures to come.

The "Egyptian Adventure" will include the Emerson-Peabody clan, the family of Abdullah ibn al-Wahhab, Emerson's reis or foreman, who supervises their archaeological digs, Master Criminals and evil assassins and smuggling cartels, espionage, and a couple of inter-dimesional surprises (non-canon) that will be thrown in. 



Many of their adventures take place in and around the "Valley of the Kings" near Luxor, Egypt. But knowing the Emerson-Peabody clan, we will be everywhere from England to Egypt to Palestine and a hidden kingdom. It'll be fun!


Of course there will be mummies!

17 comments:

  1. Oh, I look forward to reading more of this! I love some Egyptology Pulp.

    Nice use of hessian, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted to do this for so long and then I watched The Mummy with Brandon Frasier again and I knew this was the time. Plus I have been rereading the Amelia Peabody series which has great scenarios; everything from skirmish to large skirmish.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We are so looking forward to the campaign and games once some normalcy returns. On the other hand, I am getting a lot of time to prepare.

      Delete
  3. Atmospheric, gorgeous and promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to do an Egyptian Pulp theme for so long that this may be our best campaign so far. At least there will be more than one mummy and some surprises.

      Delete
  4. Looks to be a great read. IHMN is so flexible, glad you are still using it to story tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the flexibility. I'm also jotting down some ideas to use IHMN for the French and Indian War.

      Delete
  5. With regard to that last caption . . .

    Oh good!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugh, I'm glad you noticed that it was plural!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. With the current situation, I'm not sure when our series of games will start, but I am having fun getting ready for it!

      Delete
  7. Soon we will feel hot desert wind and hear the beating of drums getting closer and closer to the excavation site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention the howling of the Egyptian wolves as they circle ever closer . . .

      Delete
  8. I have always been tempted by the Peabody novels....I am a sucker for mystery stories...your endorsement will, I think, push me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really enjoyed them. My personal favorite is the Last Camel died at Noon. Not only are they great mysteries, with good Egyptology throw in, there are great ideas for various gaming scenarios.

      Delete
  9. I really love this setting!!

    Can't wait for more!!

    ReplyDelete