As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Some thoughts for the Beginner in Designing an Adventuring Company, Part 12c (Adventuring Companies I have created)


 
The Cult of Doom(!) Arc cannon. 

18. Theme: Shiny Toy Syndrome (Pulp Figures) and Superhero Team. The Vigilantes.
In 1895, with the government's of the world actively engaged and committed to the open warfare of what history will refer to as the "War of the Witches" many police forces are tied down following leads or conducting special operations. This has lead to criminals and criminal gangs becoming bolder as they take advantage of the innocent population. And as nature abhors a vacuum, there are men and women who emerge and take justice into their own hands. Following the lead of The Shadow who almost decimated Professor Moriarty's gang in North Piddle, England, others, to the dismay of the governments of the world, have also risen to the challenge.

 Left to Right: The Lady in Blue AKA Lady Blue, The Wasp, The Shadow, and Lord Top Hat.


"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit! Crime does not pay... The Shadow knows!"

Another member of the so-called vigilantes is Mandrake the Magician


Mandrake is a magician whose work is based on an unusually fast hypnotic technique. When Mandrake "gestures hypnotically", his subjects see illusions, and Mandrake has used this technique against a variety of villains including gangsters, mad scientists, extraterrestrials, and characters from other dimensions. While dealing with an extraterrestrial threat from another dimension (sound familiar?) Mandrake and his companions Lothar, the Prince of the Seven Nations and Princess Narda of the European nation Cockaigne also find themselves trapped in 1895!
 
Some new allies meet!

19. Theme: Cultists. The Black Brotherhood AKA The Cult of Doom(!). 
 

There are foolish and evil men who attempt to tampered with the Divine laws of the Universe in order to advance their nefarious schemes of world domination and personal illegal accumulation of wealth - no matter the threat to innocents throughout our fair creation. The Black Brotherhood is a group of international terrorists dedicated to hastening the return of the Great Old Ones. The Brotherhood is made up of people from all ethnicities and ways of life, and, believing that the Old Ones will awaken soon, conduct covert operations, such as attempted political assassinations. Few of its members are taken alive for interrogation, however, as most die shortly after carrying out their operations.

According to the Union rules of the International Brotherhood of Evil Henchmen and Toadies, I get a smoke break every hour.

20. Theme: THE REAL EVIL GENIUS WHO WANTS TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD. Black and white, life and death, good and evil - two sides in a chess game, two forces in the universe - one magnificent, the other sinister. It is said that the devil plays for men's souls; so does Dr. Fu Manchu . . . Satan himself, evil incarnate.

"I am a doctor of philosophy from Edinburgh, a doctor of law from Christ's College, a doctor of medicine from Harvard. My friends, out of courtesy, call me 'Doctor'."

When I saw this figure from Pulp Figures, Lo Pan got immediately demoted and we discovered it was Fu Manchu behind everything! How can you not have Fu Manchu causing trouble! Evil plans to conquer the world, weird science, Mystic Powers, Murder Hornets and Hollywood martial arts. That's what I'm talking about! 

"Men of China! The skies are red with the thunderbolts of Genghis Khan! They rain down on the rest of the world... and burn them!"

The Doctor holds court.  

Fu Manchu is a genius who is the master of modern science and the ancient mystical arts. He is the mastermind and leader of the Si-Fan cult and other organizations. His main goal over the decades is to rule the world. He is a scientist by nature. 

 Look at my beautiful creations.

His quest for knowledge is insatiable. His genius drives him to discover things of a dark and unnatural nature. Nothing is out of bounds. His experiments led to things that were eventually regarded as forbidden and eventually led him to criminal activities as he also employed those of the dark arts to do his bidding. Anything he wants or needs to complete his desires cannot be denied him as he has amassed untold wealth and unlimited resources.

"See Lo Pan, getting all of those doctorates and student loans paid off. My beautiful creation using the Green Mist will further our plans and confuse the real purpose of what we are doing."

"Do you like my new friends, Mr. Holmes?"

21. Theme: Great Heroes from my youth. John Carter of Virginia, ex-Confederate Captain of Cavalry, gold prospector, Prince of Helium, Jeddak of Jeddaks and Warlord of Mars. Arguably, John Carter is the greatest swordsman of his time, regardless of the extra strength and dexterity his Earth muscles give him on Barsoom (Mars). Let's face it, John Carter is a freaking force of nature and beware the bad guy that gets between him and his princess. 

"I am a very old man; how old I do not know. Possibly I am a hundred, possibly more; but I cannot tell because I have never aged as other men, nor do I remember any childhood. So far as I can recollect I have always been a man, a man of about thirty. I appear today as I did forty years and more ago, and yet I feel that I cannot go on living forever; that some day I shall die the real death from which there is no resurrection. I do not know why I should fear death, I who have died twice and am still alive; but yet I have the same horror of it as you who have never died, and it is because of this terror of death, I believe, that I am so convinced of my mortality."

A Green Martian War band among the ancient ruins of a Martian city.
 
"The combat was soon over, and, with his foot upon the neck of the dead monster, Tars Tarkas became jeddak among the Tharks. His first act was to make me a full-fledged chieftain with the rank I had won by my combats the first few weeks of my captivity among them." From the journals of Captain John Carter.

"I loved Dejah Thoris. The touch of my arm upon her naked shoulder had spoken to me in words I would not mistake, and I knew that I had loved her since the first moment my eyes had met hers that first time in the plaza of the dead city of Korad.” From the journals of Captain John Carter.
 22. Theme: The Horror of Inter-dimensional Beings! Not complete yet, but I've been doing my research from H.P. Lovecraft and others. They will be coming soon!


“Certainly, the terror of a deserted house swells in geometrical rather than arithmetical progression as houses multiply to form a city of stark desolation. The sight of such endless avenues of fishy-eyed vacancy and death, and the thought of such linked infinities of black, brooding compartments given over to cob-webs and memories and the conqueror worm, start up vestigial fears and aversions that not even the stoutest philosophy can disperse.” 

 "Ten thousand thundering typhoons! Addle-pated lumps of anthracite! They are now definitely lily-livered landlubber miserable earth worm wood lice of some type of Miserable molecule of mildew underground empire! Miserable earth worms!"


"My name is Randolph Carter, Keeper of the Silver Key and you shall not pass!"
Well I hope you liked my jaunt down memory lane and the fun I have had with In Her Majesty's Name. Remember, it is a game for gentlemen and ladies with a hearty "good show" or "huzzah" appropriate during play. Have fun and I hope you enjoy the game as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment