As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Friday, August 28, 2020

Skirmish Games and Scatter Terrain, Part 2: A 3D printed Rock Bridge


For Father's Day, Honorable Son #3 (The Engineer) sent me a bridge that he had printed on his 3D printer. He got the pattern free from Thingiverse.com for free and the cost of the PLA material for his printer was about US $3.00.


Above you can see the original bridge and the material is sturdy and light weight. Honorable Son #3 was concerned that the size wasn't quite right so I immediately took some pictures with my handy phone to show him it was perfect for 28mm (and similar scales).

 Perfect spacing for standing on the rock bridge.





I already had some resin terrain from Gale Force 9's Battlefield in a Box line of terrain so I wanted the bridge to match the coloring. I wish I would have made notes about the browns, washes, and dry brushing I did but I didn't. Basically I "eyeballed" it and tried to get it as close as I could. When finished it a spray a clear matte protective coating.






 Success! Notice the waving lines from the printer - who cares? At gaming distance that can't be seen and recently I saw some similar patterns in the great State of Colorado.

 Not a perfect match in color - but pretty darn close.


 Looks great on the table top.



Next: Some purchased scatter terrain.

4 comments:

  1. Just the thing!

    Amazing and dangerous things 3d printers.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are. I'm already trying to decide what to have Honorable Son #3 print next.

      Delete
  2. Very similar to those in the pet shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is but a lot cheaper (of course I did not have to buy the 3D printer!). It's amazing how many good terrain pieces can be found in the aquarium and reptile section.

      Delete