As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Friday, May 6, 2022

British Riflemen in Skirmish Order from WoFun Games Peninsular Starter Pack

A company from the 5th Battalion/60th Rifles.

I enjoy playing with Toy Soldiers and I love the hobby; having said that, remember at the end of the day we are playing with Toy Soldiers.

When I posted my recent purchases on several popular miniature gaming boards, I was surprised by several reactions on one board:

Of course this allows people to afford to wargame and bring more people to the hobby, which are good reasons but:

1. Nice idea but their research is a bit sketchy; white facings?

2. The colours are in the wrong positions for honour. (Referring to British line infantry battalions)

3. OK! It just makes one wonder why wargamers, even those just starting in the hobby bother with tomes of historical battles, uniform research, sable brushes, paint etc. Oh! And in some cases, conversion, to painstakingly strive for uniform accuracy of each individual figure. The Napoleonic uniform was one of the top reasons for drawing me to the hobby. I wonder what drew others?

The original photograph that caused the "controversy".

As a retired Colonel of Infantry of the US Army, Military Historian, and semi-mature adult, I wisely (in my opinion) did not decide to respond and go down those rabbit holes. I only made one response to the last comment:

"Maybe the fun, the social activity and the fun of gaming?"


Anyway . . . in my experience yes the uniform regulations say one thing, but the reality? Heck, even during my service in the "modern" era, I didn't always wear what the regulations said (where did that British scarf and German fur line boats come from anyway?).  Basically, it's just how you want your armies to look, parade ground or what they looked like in the field. Even today, modern dyes fade and there were color variations. In the late 18th Century and early 19th Century, it was even worse - and I won't even discuss the issue of resupply!


My preference for most of my armies is for them to look like what they would look like in the field at gaming distance. I'll be the first to admit though, my Grenadiers of the Imperial Guard look like they just came off the parade field because they are the Grenadiers of the Imperial Guard. It's your army!


They way I looked at the British rifle figures with white facings, grey trousers and white trousers is that you can make them whatever unit you want. They can be the 95th Rifles, the Light Infantry of the King's German Legion (KGL) or the 5/60th rifles with just a little work. I decided to paint the facings red to make them a unit from the 5th Battalion, 60th Rifles. Now the "regulations" have them wearing grey trousers and some of my riflemen have green trousers. Why? Because that's all I had! As for the "white" trousers at gaming distance to me they are faded grey with variations of the Iberian Peninsula shining on them from different angles.


Sure many of us like to do meticulous research and want our units to look just right. I'm doing the same thing know as I am getting ready to paint some Indian Service Troops and Highlanders for the Northwest Frontier Uprising of 1897 to1898. But don't ruin the hobby for others just because the buttons should be faded brass instead of shiny gold.



The completed unit.

"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams." H. G. Wells.

10 comments:

  1. Some people really do make you wonder sometimes. They may not be to everyone's taste, but why do these people have to throw in negative ideas. Yeh white cuffs are wrong but, so bloody what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      As I always say: It's your money, your army, do what you feel is right.
      Neil

      Delete
  2. When these figures are observed at 'wargaming range' (say 3 feet) the small inaccuracies cannot be seen and the advantage of not having to paint them are their great advantage .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Over the years I have adjusted my painting techniques, even 28mm, to gaming distance. Now I have to admit, every once in awhile I'll spend extra time I what a consider a "masterpiece"; but gaming distance works for me.

      Delete
  3. Ah the Napoleonic uniform experts! It's partly why I don't play this period (boring slogging matches IMHO), much prefer a Tricorn.
    Toy soldiers (yes toy) are a matter of personal taste. Take the "My Seven Years War" blog filed with German flat figures exquisitely painted. Viewed side on they disappear. In one game he includes a friend 's "normal 3d" figures alongside the flats. By comparison they look like cartoon men, far too chunky compared to the flats.
    My Nappy gamers claim it's the best period due to the glorious uniforms. My response is that if they want to be 100% accurate their figures should be in a mix of rags and dysentery stained greatcoats.........
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil,
      I was first introduced to flats the first time I was stationed in Germany in the latter part of the 1980's. I saw some truly magnificent units and the most amazing display for me was in the musuem in Zurich. I do love the uniforms; but I like the look in the field. When I was doing one of my papers for my Master of Military Arts and Science, I was amazed at how many surviving examples of uniform were not "regulation". Oh well; you roll the dice and take your chances!
      Neil

      Delete
  4. Right - this is my THIRD attempt to leave a comment! For some reason, my geriatric iPad has issues with a few blogs and yours seems to be one of them - so I have switched to a five year old laptop - that just took half an hour to start up as I had to switch to MS Edge for my browser!
    Anyways - I totally agree with your philosophy Neil. I am guessing the gaming board mentioned is TMP - a place I have never frequented but by repute is populated by nit picking twats like the one you describe! I sometimes come across blogs where the figures look like they have been painted by a ten year old, and I certainly would not want to play my games with this type of figures, but if others get pleasure from it, thats fine - why leave a negative comment? I would probably not use the Wofun figures myself but they look ok and to be honest, on a gaming table no one sees the facing colours or the colour of the button lace etc. Yes, I try to paint my 28mm figures as nicely and as accurately as possible but I make some compromises and my painting is only fair to average I would think - which I am perfectly happy with!
    I think you were sensible not to engage with the critics - it only encourages them....Best option is completely ignore them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about the Ipad. Mine is no longer supported by Apple; I can view but can't comment, add posts, etc. But you better get that castle loop correct on the cuffs of your guards regiment or I'm coming for you! There should be three - not four!
      Neil

      Delete
  5. Very nice figures and I have been tempted by the Wofun range. It is definitely a good way to get into those periods with a great army at a reasonable price and be ready to play. I hope they do very well.
    If my figures had to be painted accurately I wouldn't have any! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben,
      I wanted to get back into Napoleonic's but the idea of painting that many figures again (to me Napoleonic's is big battles) was daunting. WoFun was a great way to do it and now I think I may use them in 28mm to get back into Frederick the Great. By the way, I noticed that the buttons you painted on the last unit were Vallejo Brass and they should be Vallejo Old Gold! Oh well . . .
      Neil

      Delete