As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

French Napoleonic Mounted Commanders from WoFun Games

 

Army/Corps Command stand and Division Command stand.

As I build my Napoleonic forces in 18mm using the pre-painted, flat miniatures from WoFun Games, I needed some more Generals and officers for both sides so I could play a variety of different rules to include Napoleonic Wargaming, by Neil Thomas, Volley and Bayonet, the PDF rules that came with the WoFun Games Peninsular Starter Pack in 18mm, etc. So, what do you get for US $21.26, to include bases, in 18mm with the French Mounted Officers pack?


The above is half of the figures that come in 18mm, I was so excited when they came that I started punching them out and mounting them and then I remembered to take a picture! In 18mm you get two of each of the above (34 in total for 18mm!); in 28mm only the above. There is a nice selection of French Marshals, Generals, Aide-de-Camps, Senior officers, Cavalry Senior officers, etc.

My Army Commanders/Corps Commanders will be mounted on the WoFun 30mm x 20mm rectangular base for the simple fact is that I can add more figures to the base. My Army Commanders/Corps Commanders will have 3 to 4 figures mounted per base. My Division and Brigade commanders will be mounted on a circular 30mm x 30mm base with 2 figures for a Division Commander and 1 figure for the Brigade Commander.

The current senior commander for the French Army in the Peninsular.


Here is how I made the bases look "pretty" (a good base can cover up a multitude of sins):

I first insert the mounted figure into the 30mm x 30mm circular base.

I use regular masking tape to cover the open parts of the slot.

Put some "glops" of white glue around the base.

Water down the white glue with an old paint brush.

Stick the base in the handy, dandy, magical box of hobby sand. Shake off the excess.

Once the sand dries, I put another coating of water downed white glue over the sand as an extra sealant to protect the base.

I then do smaller "glops" of white glue, water down the glue and spread it a little, and then dip the base in the handy, dandy, magic box of static grass. Shake off the excess into the box or whatever container you use. Ta Dah! All done.

The rear of the base. After looking back at the picture, I used an old, dry brush to wipe the excess static grass that was on the horse.

I'm building my French Army based on the IV Corps d'Armee at Talavera. I may not do the full corps, but I'm close to having 2 Divisions and 1/2 of the Cavalry Brigade; but right now, I am real weak in artillery. Here are the commanders so far:

Commander of the 1st Division.



Commanders of the 3 of the 4 Infantry Regiments of the 1st Division (they are represented as Brigade Commanders).



Commander of the 3rd (German) Division.



The three brigade commanders of the 3rd (German) Division.



Cavalry Commanders (note that the Dragoon officer is from the French Dragoon unit pack and is not part of the French Mounted pack).


Next: Using WoFun Dutch Infantry to convert to other French Allies.

14 comments:

  1. The generals pack looks great. Nice, vibrant colors and I really like your enhanced basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basing really brings out the figures.

      Delete
  2. They are beautiful aren't they , I do like your work on the bases . I haven't got around to texturing mine yet .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I basing now a unit at a time and I am surprised how quickly it goes. It might be because they are 18mm scale but I suspect it seems to go quickly because I am not painting the figures!

      Delete
  3. More fantastic pictures from Wofun miniatures, love your basing style. Keep these updates coming.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willz,
      Thanks. That's my tried and true basing style that I have used for years now. For some of my 28mm figures sometimes I'll paint and highlight the sand or just add a brown wash over the stand.
      Neil

      Delete
  4. I confess my surprise to see an aide-de-camp wearing red trousers. Marshal Alexandre Berthier did not tolerate that other aides from the Prince of Neuchatel, Duke of Wagrami did not tolerate that other aides-de-camp than his people could carry. The story goes that he got angry when he saw an aide-de-camp wearing red trousers and wanted to make him leave them on the spot.
    In Spain, far from the Emperor and his irascible Chief of Staff, aides-de-camp were freer to dress as they wished. You will therefore be able to use your aide-de-camp and his red pants as you wish within General Sébéstiani de la Porta's IV corps without fearing the reprimand of the Major General of the Grande Armée.
    I am certain that, as Honorary Colonel, you will be able to make use of this information.
    Congratulations for your bases, which give your miniatures an extra cachet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I won't have to issue a letter of reprimand in the Emperor's name. I forgot that Berthier's aides wore red trousers. Obviously this aide is wearing captured trousers! Thanks!
      Neil

      Delete
  5. They really look very fine, and the three dimensional basing really helps with the 2-D figures.

    Of course, FF's story above demonstrates that some ADC's other than Berthier's DID in fact wear red trousers... when they could get away with it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! BTW, the Baden link on your blog was extremely useful; thanks again.
      Neil

      Delete
  6. Colorful "flats", Neil. Someone is running a game at Enfilade using these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean,
      Do you know what period? The WoFun flats have really allowed be to build some armies quickly to play games while I continue to paint the figures that I am working on. Thanks.
      Neil

      Delete
  7. They don't look half bad with the enhanced basing Neil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really spruces them up, doesn't it?
      Neil

      Delete