As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Favorite Units I painted in 2022, Part 1


I'm continuing with my end of year wrap-up without a lot of commentary as my Beautiful Bride and myself are in the middle of a move. There are more details on the units that can be found by clicking on the links of the unit names which will take you to the original post.


My second unit of Mohegan Indians for the French and Indian War. In reality they could represent just about any tribe on the East Coast during the Colonial period through the end of the 18th Century.


I mounted them for Rebels and Patriots using the "3", "2", "1" method of basing which allows the creation of mini-vignettes. The above was fun to make and only took removing the base and bending the figure just a little to give it the impression of jumping over the log.  These great figures are from North Star's Muskets and Tomahawk range of figures. This pack is Indian Warriors 2 and can be found at this link on North Star's Website or if you are in the United States you can get them from Brigade Games.


High Elf General and Bodyguard for Dragon Rampant. These are the old metal GW Phoenix Guard figures which once again shows the versatility of the "Rampant" series of games. These were painted for Honorable Son #5 (The Skirmisher). The figure with the axe and sword became an accidental conversion when I broke the figures halberd. Keep those bits!


Okay, if I actually ranked them D Squadron, of the 3rd Bombay Light Cavalry would be in the top three. These are from Artizan Designs and are mounted for The Men Who Would be Kings.


If you haven't discovered WoFun Miniatures, you are in for a treat. I wanted to get back into Napoleonic gaming but did not want to buy the metal, put the plastic together or spend the time painting so I could have big battles again. WoFun miniatures are printed, color, flat plexiglass figures and I love them. I had an extra Dutch unit and easily converted them into the Confederation of the Rhine Battalion Number 3 (Frankfurt).


Here is my first force of Irregular Infantry for the game The Men Who Would be Kings which I painted as Pashtuns from the Afridi tribe though in reality they could be any tribal unit on the Northwest Frontier. They are Perry Plastics.



Speaking of Pashtuns, a major focus for me this year is the Northwest Frontier Uprising of 1897 - 98 and for my core Afghan Tribal force I am building 2 units of Tribal Infantry and 3 units of Irregular Infantry. In The Men Who Would be Kings the Tribal Infantry are primarily the "up close and personal warriors" while the Irregular Infantry focus more on shooting. Above is my first Tribal force and again they are Perry Plastics.



Sure it looks ridiculously large. Sure it's the size of a siege gun or fortress gun - but it looks cool! As soon as I saw the Large Cannon from WizKids at a local hobby store, it did not take long for the US $9.80 to exchange hands as I knew it would be part of my The Men Who Would be Kings Tribal Force to give the army of the British Raj trouble. The crew is from Artizan designs except the officer who is pointing which is another Perry Plastic.

Next: Part 2.

8 comments:

  1. All very nice second time around Neil....well worth the another showing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Every once in a while it's fun to show off.

      Delete
  2. All very nice second time around Neil....well worth the another showing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Every once in a while it's fun to show off.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites and I don't like painting artillery. I can't wait to get it on the battlefield against the Indian Army.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I am definitely not into whimpy elves. Thanks!

      Delete