As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Rebels and Patriots Initial British Force for the French and Indian War

 

As followers of this blog know, I am a big fan of Daniel Mersey's War game rules that he has done for Osprey Publishing. His later rules, which started with Lion Rampant, have been done in collaboration with Michael Leck. It was really no surprise that I purchased Rebels and Patriots (paid link) and started my first real army project I have done in awhile. 

I decided to do the French and Indian War for several reasons:
1. The conflict gets little attention and study these days in the United States. (And that HURTS as a military historian.)
2. I grew up in Central Pennsylvania which were definitely in the war zone for this conflict. Even as a child in the 1970's stories of the war were still being told.
3. I recently re-read Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts. That got the blood pumping reading a novel that is a carefully researched, day-by-day recreation of the raid by Rogers' Rangers on the Indian village at Saint-François-du-Lac, Quebec (or Saint Francis, to the Americans troops), a settlement of the Abenakis, an American Indian tribe. The 1940 movie starring Spencer Tracey is great.
4.  Okay, I watched The Last of the Mohicans (1992) again which clinched it for me. Please don't be surprised when Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas show up with special rules.
5. Cool Figures.

Though Rebels and Patriots (paid link) is designed with a scale of one figure equals one man, the authors point out that the scale is flexible so I will be "up-scaling" some of my units.


Officer in charge. Second Lieutenant Coll McDougall, 42nd Highlander Regiment: 
Trait: "He's the Major General's favorite Officer." Adds one additional point when mustering the unit.
Tactical Value: 0
 

42nd Highland Infantry
.
Unit Name: Shock Infantry
Unit Upgrades: Aggressive and Large Unit
Points: 8
                          

42nd Highland Regiment Light Company.
Unit Name: Light Infantry
Unit Upgrades: Aggressive and Small Unit
Points: 6
 

Mohegan Ranger Company.
Unit Name: Skirmishers
Unit Upgrades: Aggressive
Points: 3


Ranger Company.
Unit Name: Light Infantry
Unit Upgrades: Aggressive, Small Unit, Veteran
Points: 8 
 
British Force Total Points: 25
 
Now it's time to finish the French!

10 comments:

  1. The Mohegan Ranger Company is superb...and col Mac Dougall looks so motivated, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of fun painting the Mohegans. Honorable Son #1 is a research librarian for a college in CT and he was an invaluable resource on the Mohegan Rangers. McDougall looks ready to take the war to the French!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - Once I got past the kilts it was all down hill from there!

      Delete
  3. Nice! This will be a crack force on the gaming table, fo sure. Looking forward to seeing what you muster for the French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I will be playing the French, those Highlanders are starting to give me the willies. I'm currently working on a large Huron War band so I am hoping to give them a good ambush.

      Delete
  4. Nice work Neil.
    Might inspire me to expand my small French force for FIW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TWD,
      Thanks! That's what I am finding great about the FIW. You don't need a lot of troops.
      Neil

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great little force to stick to the Frogs - look forward to seeing them in action soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rross,
      Thanks. It was a fun force to build. Unfortunately as I lost the coin toss, I'll be the Frogs fighting those devils in skirts once I finish the French Force for our campaign.
      Neil

      Delete