As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Saturday, January 9, 2021

Designing the Russian - Anglo War of the late 19th and early 20th Century


"Sergei, you went to the Imperial War College. What do you want to do?"
"I don't know Dmitri, what do you want to do?"
"Well, I guess we better start getting books and researching!"

Prelude: A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away . . .

Honorable Son #4 (The Greatest 18th Century General who ever lived) from his younger days: Dad, you fought in several wars, right?
The Colonel: Yes son that is right. 
Honorable Son #4: And you're Infantry, right?
The Colonel: "Regulars by God." But it is a team effort and I have had tanks, and Special Ops and artillery.
Honorable Son #4: And you got a lot of medals, right?
The Colonel: That's right. But that was more because of the soldiers I served with who did a great job.
Honorable Son #4: (Pauses and is obviously thinking). You graduated from the War College, right?
The Colonel: Yes . . . that's the diploma right there. Is there something you want to know about?
Honorable Son #4: Yes. You seem to lose a lot of miniature war games but you always smile.
The Colonel: That's right. I have fun.
 
Beautiful Daughter-in-law #2 (The Lawyer) asks Honorable Son #2 (The Captain):
"Okay, explain to me again how a high school freshman beat a Colonel and a lieutenant?"
 
And that's my approach to gaming. I'm not a competitive gamer (but I like to win!). It's fun for me: The research, the painting, the epoch conflicts on the tabletop and the camaraderie. And at the end of the battle - good show, great game and a handshake, well, you know.

Anyway, for about a gazillion years I have been admiring the Copplestone Castings Back of Beyond Range. (Note: Copplestone is available direct in the USA from Brigade Games - excellent service.) I finally took the plunge and have decided to have a fictional war between the Russian Empire and the British Empire as a result of the "Great Game" going hot in the late 19th/early 20th Century.

"I say Charlie, isn't that a Russian Army over there?"
"Yes sir."
"Not very sporting of them not tell us that they would be here, is it?"

A unit of the semi-historical Russian Third Battalion, Izmaylovsky Guards Regiment. (Copplestone Castings White Russian Officer and White Russian Soldier

My war is going to tend toward the Hollywood, pulp side of things. That's what's great about doing your own thing; you get to do your own thing. For the "big" battles I have decided to use The Men Who Would be Kings (paid link) and for smaller skirmishes In Her Majesty's Name (Yep, maybe a mystical power or two might show up from the evil Rasputin). My plan is to use IHMN for skirmishes/missions that will set-up the larger battles using TMWWBK (paid link). The fate of Central Asia and the British Raj will be at stake.
 
The Russian General and his nefarious agents up to no good! (Pulp Figures)
 
British Political Officers (Converted Artizan Designs)
 
Heroes of the British Empire. (The British Officers are Copplestone while the archer is Pulp Figures)
 

British Reinforcement from Coppelstone Castings.
 


Now to design the forces!

10 comments:

  1. Great looking figures and a great familial story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan,
      I’ve been reading a lot about The Great Game and I’m trying to narrow the trigger point. I have three possibles: one in 1895, one in 1899 and one in 1901.

      Delete
  2. Very, very cool figures and gaming, Neil! Love the red-haired lady with bow, especially. You have a handsome son and lovely daughter-in-law too (lawyer, no less)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean,
      Thanks. Having 5 sons and now beautiful daughter-in-laws who like gaming is a dream come true.
      Neil

      Delete
  3. I look forward to following your progress on this with interest...Copplestone ARE great figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rross,
      I have always admired Copplestone figures and have used them in other periods. For the longest time I have admired their BoB range and finally took the plunge.
      Neil

      Delete
  4. Looks great. Where did you get the cartographer looking figure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pistolpete,
      Perry Miniatures. Look in their Sudan range for the Correspondents.
      Neil

      Delete