Monday, October 2, 2023
Third Quarter Update: How's the Abbreviated 2023 Plan going Colonel?
"There's a Plan around here somewhere!"
The Great Move is over and I am starting to ramp up my hobby time. I have had more success with my hobby by developing a plan over the last few years and 2023 will be no exception. This year will be a little different though with abbreviated time this year due to the move. On with the plan and 3rd Quarter update - and it was a productive 3rd Quarter!
1. Paint miniatures for Ogre. I love Ogre. It was one of the first games I purchased as a youngster and Honorable Son #3 (The Pilot Engineer) loves the game and bought the latest version which is a lot bigger that the pocket sized edition I had! So of course I bought him Ogre game miniatures for the game and now that I can throw a rock and hit where he lives, it'll be time for some giant cybernetic tank action. Before I moved, I did some test paints for him to see if they fit his vision and I'm glad to say that they did. Some white spray paint and GW contrast paints; hopefully it won't take me too long to finish the project . . . and I am looking forward to painting the Mark III and V Ogres.
Status: None, zilch, nada. But I will do them this year.
2. The Northwest Frontier circa 1890. I use the rules The Men Who Would be Kings for my Colonial battles. My initial Indian Army is almost finished but the Pashtun/Afghan Tribal force is falling behind.
The 1st Tribal Infantry from the middle of last year.
a. Pashtun/Afghan Tribal force. When finished the core force will be:
3 Irregular Infantry of 12 figures each.
2 Tribal Infantry of 16 figures each.
I have completed one Irregular (Tribal) Infantry, 1/2 of the second Irregular (Tribal) Infantry unit, one Tribal Infantry unit and the BFG. My goal this year is to finish the 1 1/2 units of Irregular Infantry and one more Tribal unit. All of the figures (with the exception of the BFG crew) are hard plastic miniatures from Perry Miniature's Afghan Tribesmen Box.
1. The second Pashtun Irregular (Tribal) Infantry: Complete!
2. The third Pashtun Irregular (Tribal) Infantry: Complete!
3. Pashtun Tribal Infantry: 8 figures to go!
b. Indian Army. Before we decided to move I was planning on adding 1 Highlander unit, 1 Sikh unit and 1 Ghurka unit. I have scaled this back for this year and plan on painting the Gordon Highlanders. Miniatures will be from Perry Miniatures.
Status: The Gordons are complete!
3. Learn/play at least two new miniature games (well new to me anyway).
Status: Pulp! Finished a Reading review and now the first game has started. Game report sometime in October.
Three of my Honorable Sons live near me now that I have moved and Honorable Son #2 (The Captain) has already committed to playing the French and Indian War using Rebels and Patriots.
We are definitely going to play a big battle Napoleonic game since I have never defeated Honorable Son #4 (The Greatest 18th Century General who ever Lived) in a game with muskets. Of course there will be some action on the Northwest Frontier and I'm sure we will get and English Civil War game in too. And who knows, maybe we will end up in an area of space a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I'm looking forward to meeting hobbyists in the area and have already checked out two stores.
Labels: 2nd Afghan War, Afghan Forces, British Colonial Forces, Northwest Frontier, Ogre, Perry Miniatures, Pulp!
I'm a retired Colonel of Infantry (Regulars by God!) and Military Historian who likes to play with toy soldiers. I've been married to the love of my life since 1986, I have 5 honorable sons (my geeks in training), 4 daughters-in-law, a beautiful grandson, 1 dog and a gazillion miniatures. Hobbies include . . . wait for it . . . Toy Soldiers, Reading, Wargaming, Reading about Toy Soldiers, History, Reading about Wargaming, Gardening, Reading about History and Reading.