As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Another Old Favorite gets a Makeover


"Hey Colonel! How come Sam gets a makeover and I don't. You have had me employed longer than Sam (though technically I was a bad guy but changed my evil ways - honest!)


Yu Niu is considered by many to be the finest swordsman of China (the other also mentioned is the man known simply as the Black Dragon). For many years she was the "tip of the spear" for a secret element of the Imperial Chinese Army under the command of General Ronglu that was not always scrupulous. 

General Ronglu and his unconventional elements of the Chinese Imperial Army.

She became disillusioned with the life she was leading after the forces under General were tricked into a fight to the death with the Martial Monks of Justice. Yu Niu was the only survivor of the encounter and is convinced an evil, monovalent force was behind the slaughter. She is currently in seclusion with "The Lady in White" at an old Buddhist shrine . . . 

Another one of my favorite and oldest figures for Skirmish gaming also comes from Copplestone Castings and can be found in the Back of Beyond range as BC21 - Chinese Bandit Chiefs.


Once again I was attempting to repaint a figure that was already on a base so I would not have to rebase. I carefully repainted the places I wanted to redo with Vallejo Flat White.


I used GW Contrast Darkoath (BWAH HAH HAH!) Flesh on her hat but I was not crazy about how it looked after it dry. Too much of a red tint.


For the jacket I applied a coat of Contrast Nazdreg Yellow (whatever the heck is a Nazdreg?) and also used the Contrast Yellow on the hat to try and tone down the red tint. The belt and holster is my old standby Contrast Snakebite Leather - one of the few GW paints that do not change names!
 

The trousers were done with Contrast Ultra Marine (For the Emperor!) Blue.


Oh. Also the scarf she is wearing was done with Contrast Ultra Marine Blue.


One of the disadvantages of GW Contrast paint, and I am sure similar products, is that lighter colors will not paint over darker colors. Also some of the darker colors just don't look right when painted over a lighter color. I decided to stick with the previous paint skim when I did the first painting so to do the cuffs with Contrast Blood Angel Red, I first painted those areas again with Vallejo Flat White.


Somewhere along the way I repainted the hat with Vallejo Flat Brown and then dry brushed with Vallejo Ochre Yellow. I like the look of the Contrast Blood Angel Red but I forgot to paint the other parts of the tunic so you can see the white. I also painted the pistol Contrast Basilicanum Grey and painted the belt buckle white.


The rest of the trim has been finished with Contrast Blood Angels Red and I did the buttons and Belt buckles with Vallejo Gold.


A little touch up and shading on the face.




Tah Dah! All done and I think it looks great. I left the sword alone because, well, I liked it!


The temple where Yu Niu is in seclusion. Will anyone journey to find her?

Yu Niu and the mysterious "Lady in White."

2 comments:

  1. Another very nice refurb Neil! She looks great and ready to end her period of seclusion and reenter the fray :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and she will be in the fray! As I'm getting ready for our Pulp in campaign in 2024 "The Search for Charlie" it's great getting some of the "old gang" looking spiffy.

      Delete